I am here with Dr. Mary Bove, and you guys are going to love her! She’s a naturopathic doctor and midwife with advanced training in phytotherapy and herbal medicine. She practiced naturopathic family medicine and midwifery for 25 years and even authored one of the go-to references on the subject, The Encyclopedia of Natural Healing for Children and Infants. In collaboration with Gaia Herbs, she developed an herbal remedy line specifically for children called Gaia Kids. We’re going to talk about how to know which adaptogens and herbs are safe for kids, as well as get some clarity on what naturopathic medicine really is.
Episode Highlights With Gaia Herbs
- What an adaptogen actually is and does in the body
- The best tools to combat modern-day stress and toxicity
- Benefits of ashwagandha for nerves, sleep, learning challenges, and more
- Another herb to add for deeper, more restful sleep
- How holy basil or tulsi can help you stay centered during busy or hectic times
- Herbs that help bring the thyroid back into balance
- Medicinal mushrooms (and I take cordyceps daily)
- The natural antidepressant herb that you may never have thought to try
- Why rhodiola is one of Dr. Bove’s favorite herbals
- One of the best herbs for liver balancing and detoxification
- Easy home remedies to help kids with growing pains
- How to know which herbs to use in combination (and which are safe for kids)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- GaiaHerbs.com/wellnessmama (Use the code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout for 20% off featured products)
- Four Sigmatic
- Oura Ring
More From Wellness Mama
- 79: Using Naturopathic Medicine to Beat Hormone Imbalance & Nutrient Deficiencies
- 163: Fascinating Fungi & How to Use Medicinal Mushrooms With Tero Isokauppila
- How to Make Herbal Tinctures
- Cordyceps Mushrooms Benefits for Anti-Aging, Endurance & Balance
- What’s in My Medicine Cabinet
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Organifi, my source for super high quality superfood powders that are often part of my meals, especially when I travel. Green juice, their most popular drink, lets you incorporate farm fresh, gently dehydrated ingredients into your diet and lock in the extra vitamins and antioxidants. I just add to water and drink! It’s my go-to for veggies in the morning and is packed with chlorella for detox, spirulina and turmeric for detox as well as pain and inflammation, mint for improved digestion, matcha green tea for energy, and ashwagandha for cortisol and stress balance. Organifi also has a red juice with antioxidant-rich superfoods like cordyceps, reishi, and rhodiola plus an abundance of red berries. It’s sweet and fruity but low in sugar. It’s designed to fight aging, improve energy and metabolism, and sharpen cognition so I often drink it midday. And lastly, their the Organifi Gold drink is awesome at night and is filled with turmeric for skin health, ginger for achy muscles, turkey tail for immunity, and coconut milk for healthy saturated fat. Check all of these out at organifi.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESS20 for 20% off.
This episode is brought to you by SteadyMD, my family’s source for concierge medicine and our primary care doctors. Once something only available to the ultra-wealthy, concierge medicine is now available to all of us thanks to SteadyMD. This means my family is connected with a highly qualified MD certified in functional medicine and who knows our medical history, the supplements we take, our preferences for medical treatments and who is available anytime we need her via text, video chat, or phone call. She’s been there when I was trying to decide if I needed to take a kid in for stitches or a sore throat, she’s looked at my kids’ ears remotely via digital otoscope that I connect to my phone and she manages and advises based on regular labs. I’ve always said that your doctor should be your partner in managing your health and should listen and take into account your symptoms, feelings, and preferences and with SteadyMD, that absolutely happens. I feel supported, heard and confident knowing that I have one of the top doctors in the country available when I need her. With her help and thanks to diet and lifestyle changes in the past few years, I’ve been able to confirm that I no longer have any of the symptoms or lab markers of Hashimotos and am completely in remission! I truly can’t speak highly enough about SteadyMD and hope you’ll check them out. Head to steadyMD.com/wm to learn more and to take a quick quiz to see which doctor you match with.