If you watch the news, it can feel as if life is never truly safe and that even a routine trip to the park with children can be a dangerous endeavor.
The truth is that we are statistically safer than we’ve ever been, but those statistics don’t matter to the families who have been victims of crimes. So how do you keep your family safe without living in constant fear and how do you separate common sense prevention from paranoia?
Learning from a Former CIA Officer
In this interview, I talk with Jason Hanson, a former CIA Officer and the New York Times bestselling author of Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life. Jason has appeared on ABC’s Shark Tank, Fox & Friends, Dateline, NBC Today Show, and Rachael Ray, to name a few. He runs his Spy Escape & Evasion school on his 320-acre Spy Ranch in Cedar City, Utah.
Jason shares his story of how he became a CIA agent and how he uses the knowledge he gained through operative training to protect his family. He also teaches workshops to help men, women, and families take practical steps to keep safe.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn
- The number one way to reduce your chances of becoming the victim of a crime
- How criminals, when interviewed, could identify potential victims in seconds just from looking at pictures
- What to do if you are ever in a dangerous situation with your children
- The reason women (and especially moms) need to be concerned with self-defense
- Ways to teach your children to be safe at home and when out and about
- How to have a “family safety plan” for your home and what to do if an intruder ever enters
- What to do to reduce the chances of home invasion, car jacking, and kidnapping
- Simple tips to stay safe while traveling
- How to use some spare change and a sock for self defense
- The one place Jason would never take his family (hint: it is a popular vacation destination)
- A simple tool you can carry anywhere (even in airports) to help defend yourself
- If and when you should carry a gun or knife for protection
Resources We Mention
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Kettle and Fire Bone Broth. If you love the benefits of bone broth simmered on the stove all day but want a quick and easy way to make it, Kettle and Fire is for you! They have the first grass-fed (and grass-finished) non-perishable bone broth and it is ah-mazing! Kettle and Fire Bone Broth can be found in many Whole Foods on the west coast and you can also order online here.
I use their bone broth on a regular basis and used it to create the recipes in my new bone broth e-book (releasing later this year).
This podcast is also brought to you by Thrive Market. If you live in a real food desert like I do, it can be difficult to find certain organic, specialty, or allergy-friendly foods. Thrive Market makes it easy by carrying thousands of the non-perishable foods that I use most often at discount prices.
They’re like a combination of Costco, Amazon, and Whole Foods. They are online like Amazon, have a yearly membership fee to unlock discounts like Costco, and carry high quality foods like Whole Foods!
I order from them regularly and highly recommend them. Check out all of their products and grab a free jar of coconut oil here.