I cannot wait to share today’s guest with you! Dr. Alvin Danenberg is a periodontist who has been treating patients with gum disease for over 44 years. He incorporates aspects of nutrition and lifestyle change as part of his cutting-edge laser protocol which treats periodontal disease. And we’re gonna delve into that today.
In 2015, he was appointed to the faculty of the College of Integrative Medicine, and he created the college’s integrative periodontal teaching module. So he’s a world-renowned expert in this topic. He has certifications in functional medicine as well as the ADAPT training from the Kresser Institute. And he’s also the author of a book called Crazy Good Living: Healthy Gums, Healthy Gut, Healthy Life.
He’s incredibly qualified and so very kind, and I can’t wait to chat!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Al Danenburg
- Learn the reason plaque isn’t always bad
- Why our ancestors didn’t get gum disease and we do
- The real reason animals in the wild don’t have tooth decay and domesticated animals do
- A fascinating way that what we eat affects our oral health
- The factor that is just as important as brushing to keep healthy teeth
- How our mouth affects the nitric oxide levels in our body
- The surprising way that certain mouthwash products can raise blood pressure!
- How the gut microbiome affects the oral microbiome
- The three primary and important reasons for dental plaque
- How leaky gut and leaky gums are connected and what to do about it
- How to clean the tongue correctly
Resources We Mention
- Crazy Good Living: Healthy Gums, Healthy Gut, Healthy Life by Dr. Alvin Danenberg
- Wellnesse Remineralizing Toothpaste
More From Wellness Mama
- 3: How to Improve Your Oral Health
- 86: The Science of the Oral Microbiome and Remineralization with Will of OraWellness
- 127: Using the Dental Diet to Reverse Dental Problems with Dr. Steven Lin
- My Oral Health Routine (That Stopped My Cavities)
- How to Whiten Teeth With Activated Charcoal
- An Easy 3-Step Approach for Healthy Teeth (Without Flossing)
- Does Brushing Teeth Prevent Cavities?
- How to Brush Your Teeth Correctly
- Wellnesse Products Review
Do you or your kids struggle with cavities or other dental health problems? What do you think of Dr. Al’s advice? Also, please take two minutes to leave a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors!
This podcast is brought to you by Kettle and Fire. You may already know that this is my go-to bone broth because it is shelf-stable, easy to use, and delicious. But you may not know that Kettle and Fire just released brand new bone-broth based soups, which make it even more convenient to eat healthy on the go plus they save a lot of time when you’re trying to feed the whole family on a busy night. They have miso, tomato, and butternut soups and they are all really, really good. Plus, they have a 20-hour slow simmer process for their broth that extracts insane amounts of protein, 10g per serving. This process creates a collagen-rich broth that is great for hair, skin, and nails. Right now, you can save 10% by going to KettleandFire.com/mama (the discount is already built in!).
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. My kitchen is always stocked with their coffee mushroom blends, their Matcha mix, and their straight mushroom drinks. Four Sigmatic has figured out how to get the benefits of mushrooms like chaga, lions mane, cordyceps and reishi into delicious instant drinks. My current favorite is their adaptogen coffee blend that has tolsi and astragalus. But I love all of their products. They have options with or without caffeine so if you’re not a caffeine person you can find products that you will love. And I find that even their coffee blends that do contain caffeine have less than a normal cup of coffee. But don’t let this fool you. I have found that I get so much more focus and mental clarity from these mushroom blends than I do from regular coffee, and without the jitters. The addition of the mushrooms, which are considered nootropics, meaning that they are good for the brain makes these super food blends more effective and much healthier than just regular old coffee. I love them with a dash of macadamia milk personally. I also love that many of their drink mixes are instant and packaged into individual servings so they are perfect for travel or on the go. If you’re listening to this, then you can get a special offer just for listeners of this podcast by going to FourSigmatic.com/WellnessMama.