I’m here with Martha Tettenborn, a registered dietitian and health coach whose health journey began with an ovarian cancer diagnosis. It led her to deep research on the science of cancer metabolism and eventually to her own recovery. Now she helps so many others do the same.
I walked away from this episode amazed by how much cancer risk goes back to our mitochondria, our liver, and other metabolic factors. This is a recurring theme in the podcast lately and something important for us all to pay attention to. I think you’ll still learn a lot even if you are hopefully not going through a cancer journey.
Episode Highlights With Martha Tettenborn
- The metabolic factors that relate to cancer
- One thing cancer cells can’t process and why this is important
- The long-standing connection between cancer risk reduction and the ketogenic diet
- How healthy cell metabolism works (and what can go wrong)
- Why glucose is a key to overall health
- The role of conventional cancer treatments and how to sync these with other approaches
- Pros and cons of chemotherapy
- Strategies for coping with cancer treatment side effects
- Why cancer can’t downregulate its growth, and why this is important for recovery
- The connection between sugar and cancer
- Ways to build metabolic flexibility (and lower your cancer risk)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Martha Tettenborn
- Hacking Chemo: Using Ketogenic Diet, Therapeutic Fasting and a Kickass Attitude to Power through Cancer Treatment by Martha Tettenborn
- Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes
- What the Bleep (documentary)
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat, and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz
More From Wellness Mama
- 255: Dr. Valter Longo on a Fasting Mimicking Diet and Increasing Healthspan
- 383: Resilience, Mitochondrial Health, Peptides, and Smart Supplementation With World’s Leading Biochemist Shawn Wells
- 346: Sulforaphane: The “Broccoli Molecule” That Slows Aging, Fights Cancer & Boosts Immune Health With BrocElite
- 129: Childhood Cancer: Avoidance, Treatment & Understanding the Odds with My Kid Cures Cancer
- 436: Are Bras Making Us Sick? The Breast Disease Link With Sydney Singer
- How to Use the Fasting Mimicking Diet to Get the Benefits of Fasting (Without Skipping Food!)
- The Link Between Sugar and Cancer
Have you or a loved one faced cancer? What would you share from your journey to help others? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Just Thrive, the probiotic I take regularly. Here’s why I love them: Up to 80% of our immune system lives in our gut, and as much as 90% of Americans have some kind of gut related issue from bloating to digestive issues to reflux. The problem is, according to research, 99.9% of the probiotics on the market die in your naturally harsh stomach acid before they get to where they’re needed (even and especially the refrigerated ones). But these are different. The proprietary strains have been 3rd party clinically tested and proven to arrive 100% alive in your gut and Studies show their spore strains are 1000x more effective than most brands on the market. This is also The only brand to contain the patented strain HU-36 which produces antioxidants at the most bio-available location in your body. I notice better digestion, immune support, skin improvements and I think this was a part of improving my gut bacteria to lead to weight loss. Learn more and save 15% at justthrivehealth.com/wellnessmama.
This podcast is sponsored by Hiya Health, a new approach to kids vitamins. At Hiya, they believe that many kids vitamins create more problems than they solve, basically as candy in disguise with as much as two teaspoons of sugar and additives you don’t want your kids eating! Hiya is made without the sugar or junk and kids love them. They arrive straight to your door on a pediatrician-recommended schedule. Your first month comes with a reusable glass bottle your kids can personalize with stickers, then every month thereafter Hiya sends a no-plastic refill pouch of fresh vitamins, which means Hiya isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment. Check them out and learn more at hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama