I’m talking with Lisa Jendeza today, a former HP technology consultant with a background in business and network operations. After witnessing what she calls a decline in critical thinking she embarked on a journey to help others learn how to take their power back. She now teaches adult classes on how to detox and make healthier food choices and cooking classes for kids.
Lisa’s cooking classes help kids learn through experience how to create lasting change, use critical thinking skills, and allow them the freedom to explore. In her program, Freedom Kitchen, kids learn how to explore different ingredients and ultimately be leaders of their own health and happiness in a judgment free zone.
When I think back to what I learned growing up, the most important lessons were ones I learned through experiences. Getting kids in the kitchen and working with their hands activates both sides of the brain for a whole-body approach to health. We’ve often heard that actions speak louder than words, but experience trumps action! Kids can learn the importance of experiments, how to shift their mindset through food experiences, and so much more.
Our conversation went in a lot of different directions today and I’m excited to share it with you!
Episode Highlights With Lisa
- How she shifted from IT into her current work
- Action speaks louder than words but experience trumps action
- How she teaches life lessons through kitchen skills
- The importance of experiments
- How to shift mindset through food experiences with kids
- Kids are so capable of understanding and making good choices about food and about life
- Her take on stem classes and their possible downsides
- Right brain focused approaches to education with kids
- How cooking is a great integrated whole brain experience with both right and left brain activities
- Our kid’s futures will look different than we can predict and how to help them prepare
- How to create more opportunities for right brain learning with your kids
Resources We Mention
- Freedom Kitchen
- Book: The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman
- Book: Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill