Today’s episode is about parenting and family and it’s a message I really resonate with. I’m here with Chris and Melissa, the husband and wife team behind Family Brand and the Level Up Your Family Program. They’ve started this movement to help families strengthen their bonds and build better relationships to develop an amazing family culture.
After separating and almost divorcing, they decided to change the destructive narratives and rebuild their family. Now they help other families to do the same. I had the honor of being a guest on their podcast to talk about the health side of family, but our chat today is more about parenting and family dynamics.
We go over the principle that more is caught than taught and how we can better model what we want our kids to see. We also talk about how to better communicate and grow together as a family through things like weekly check-ins and recognizing kindness. As a business owner (several times over!) it’s so common to think about having a business plan and mapping things out, but we can think of our families in the same way. If we don’t set the tone for our home, then the world will and it may not be what we want!
Our talk today is all about how to be more intentional with our parenting and I know you’ll enjoy listening in!
Episode Highlights With Chris and Melissa
- How they got into the work of helping families and doing family brand
- The biggest challenges families face today and how they navigate those challenges
- “More is caught than taught” – importance of modeling
- How to keep values from coming across as a list of dos and don’ts and how to do values well
- Ways to identify and incorporate your family values
- Every family has a culture… was your created by default or by design?
- Either you can define what your family stands for or the world will do it for you
- How to do a weekly family check-in around culture with: What you are grateful for, Who in the family did something really kind for you this week, Who has something going on this week (calendar syncing), and Does anyone have a challenge or problem they’d like the whole family’s help in solving?
Resources We Mention
- Family Brand website
- Family Brand Podcast
- Family Brand Podcast – My episode
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra
- The Go Giver
- Byron Katie’s The Work Journal
- We Are All the Same Age Now: Valuegraphics, The End of Demographic Stereotypes by David Allison
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
More From Wellness Mama
- 360: Four Questions to Change Your Life & Doing The Work With Byron Katie
- 650: Navigating Family Dynamics Around Food Choices and Health With Functional Medicine Coach Dr. Sandi
- 579: My First Principles Parenting Approach and What Works for Me
- 439: An Interview With My Five-Year-Old About Family Culture
- 268: Tildet Varon on Positive Parenting & Effective Family Communication
- Reasons to Create Family Time Traditions (+ Ideas)