This episode was a fun one for me because I have been an amateur dental researcher for over a decade now. I’m so obsessed with oral health that I even developed and launched my own toothpaste!
My guest is Dr. Thomas Birkenhauer, a personal friend of mine and actually my dentist. In fact I now travel almost eight hours to see him because I really like his functional approach to dental health.
In this episode, he explains how to nurture a really good relationship with your dentist, especially if you’re willing to do the things to really support your own oral health in between cleanings. He’s also a dad of three, so we go deep on how to help kids have strong dental habits and an understanding of the oral microbiome from an early age.
We hope this gives you a lot of practical tools for navigating your own oral health and developing a strong partnership with your own dentist!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Thomas Birkenhauer
- How to build and keep a healthy oral microbiome
- Why mouthwash isn’t necessarily a good idea
- The balance of gut bacteria in the mouth and the delicate balance between cavities and gum disease
- The reason people don’t usually have either cavities or gum disease, but not both
- An important reason to avoid Tylenol and Excedrin for headaches (yes, it has to do with teeth!)
- The real root cause of tension headaches and pain
- Why teeth can remineralize and how to support the process
- Effective strategies for opening a conversation and building a good relationship with your dentist
- How to help kids get off to the best start with healthy dental habits
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 127: Using the Dental Diet to Reverse Dental Problems with Dr. Steven Lin
- 86: The Science of the Oral Microbiome and Remineralization with Will of OraWellness
- 28: Can Cavities Remineralize?
- 3: How to Improve Your Oral Health
- My Oral Health Routine (That Stopped My Cavities)
- Does Brushing Teeth Prevent Cavities?
- Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe (Natural + Simple)
- Benefits of Hydroxyapatite for Teeth and More
- Does Flossing Really Reduce Gum Disease and Cavities?
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. Beekeeper’s is on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean remedies that actually work. I am a huge fan of these bee powered products and want to share about one of my favorites. It’s called B-powered and it’s a superfood honey that goes beyond all the amazing benefits of raw honey. My kids love this as a superpowered treat in the morning with yogurt and chia seeds and I love it for it’s many benefits. I’ll often grab a spoonful for a healthy energy boost when I need it during the day. But it is so much more than just that. I would say it’s probably the most powerful honey on the planet and that’s because this isn’t just any honey. It’s a therapeutic blend of propolis, royal jelly and bee pollen supports all day energy and immune function. Essentially, it’s a natural energy supplement that won’t have you crashing later in the day and I find sprinkling a little of sea salt on it makes it taste amazing and also gives an extra benefit with the electrolytes. It tastes delicious and you can add it into drinks or over foods like yogurt, toast, and smoothies It contains raw honey which is an easily digestible natural fuel and also bee pollen which is nature’s multivitamin and it contains free-forming amino acids and nutrients and is a denser protein source than animal protein (gram-for-gram). It’s been researched and used by Olympians to improve endurance and overall performance Propolis contains antioxidants and germ-fighting compounds, which work together to support immune health. And royal jelly is the food of the queen of the hive and contains the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and ultra unique fatty acids that promote mental clarity, brain health & focus. B. Powered is your all day energy support. I also recommend trying their propolis throat spray for defense at the first sign of a scratchy throat or sniffles and their B.LXR for a caffeine free energy boost that lasts all day. To upgrade your medicine cabinet and save 15% on your first order, go to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama to get 15% off.
This podcast is sponsored by Alitura skincare. This a company founded by my friend (and previous podcast guest) Andy, who formulated these products to heal after a horrific accident left him with scars on his face. He mixed some of the most nutrient dense ingredients on the planet to create truly natural products that feed and benefit the skin, leaving it nourished and in my experience, hydrated and younger looking. I know from talking to Andy that he has literally gone all over the world to source some of these ingredients and is meticulous about testing them for quality and finding the combination that works the best. Even the name, Alitura, means feeding and nourishing in latin. My personal favorites are the mask and the gold serum, but all of their products are great. Here’s a tip with the mask… mix with apple cider vinegar instead of water for an extra boost and to deep clean pores. I use the mask a few times a week and I use the gold serum at night and after sun exposure to keep my skin nourished and hydrated. Check out these and all of their products at alituranaturals.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESSMAMA for 20% off and free shipping.