I’m here with Dr. David Perlmutter, who is a board-certified neurologist and a repeat guest of ours. He’s a five-time ”New York Times” best-selling author and he sits on the board of directors and is a fellow of the American College of Nutrition. His books have been published in 32 languages, and I have learned so much from his work. He is highly decorated, to say the least.
In this episode, we go deep on the science of uric acid and a lot of the data in his new book, which is called, “Drop Acid.” He talks about what uric acid is and how it works in the body and also shares the sources of uric acid in the diet. But what interested me the most was when he goes deep on how this affects so much more than just gout, including metabolic dysfunction, which is a big issue in today’s world.
He talks about why 88% of American adults have at least one component of metabolic syndrome, and how uric acid actually affects all five components of it. He explains why uric acid levels being what they are is actually a survival mechanism in humans, but how we aren’t really designed for the way modern society sets up diet, and it causes this increase in uric acid. He also shares how reducing uric acid levels has a positive rollover effect into all these other areas, including all those parts of metabolic syndrome, like weight gain, high blood sugar, high blood pressure, etc.
I understood what uric acid was before, but he makes it really clear to understand and gives you some tangible tools to actually start changing these levels in the body. Very fascinating episode. I know that you will learn a lot. I certainly did. So without further ado, let’s join Dr. Perlmutter.
Episode Highlights With Dr. David Perlmutter
- What Uric acid is and how it works in the body
- The only sources of uric acid in the diet
- How uric acid is related to much more than just gout
- Why 88% of American adults have at least one component of metabolic syndrome
- How this is also linked to problems in the brain and why this is a big deal
- Surprising research on lowering uric acid and how this reduces metabolic syndrome within weeks
- Why humans have uric acid levels 4-5x higher than other primates
- How uric acid damages mitochondria function
- Why our fructose consumption has increased dramatically in the last few decades
- How to know if your uric acid is high and how to reduce it and undo these conditions
- The difference between normal and optimal ranges in lab tests
- Ways to test uric acid levels, even at home, without a prescription
- Why, despite the name, fruit isn’t the main culprit
- How excess fructose tells the body to make as much body fat as possible
- The way alcohol comes into play here (it might surprise you) and which ones are ok
- How salt comes into play and when the body can make fructose to ward off dehydration
- Why simply drinking more water can make a big difference
- Natural compounds that can help lower uric acid quickly
- How Quercetin helps with uric acid and influences AMPK pathway
- Why exercise is also a key for reducing uric acid and activating AMPK
- Good news about coffee consumption for uric acid
- What purines are and why to pay attention to them
- How fasting and exercise can temporarily raise uric acid but reduce them long term
Resources We Mention
- Drop Acid: The Surprising New Science of Uric Acid?The Key to Losing Weight, Controlling Blood Sugar, and Achieving Extraordinary Health by David Perlmutter MD
- David Perlmutter MD
- Levels Glucose Monitor
- Biochemistry by Lubert Stryer
More From Wellness Mama
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.