This podcast is all about breathwork and how this simple (and free!) practice can profoundly impact health. Just a few small changes to how we breathe can promote feelings of safety in our own body, activate our parasympathetic nervous system, improve health, and so much more! I’m here with Josh Trent, the founder of Wellness Force Media and host of the podcast by the same name. He’s also the creator of the BREATHE wellness program, which can teach you how to use breathwork in your own life for a whole host of benefits.
Josh explains how the breath is the most effective lever we can manually pull to make direct positive changes to our nervous system. Since we are all breathing all day long, even a few small changes in this area can have a really profound effect on sleep, stress, and real health markers like heart rate variability.
And it’s not just moms who need breathwork… our kids can benefit as well!
Episode Highlights With Josh Trent
- What happens physiologically in the body when we learn to breath more effectively
- The sympathetic/parasympathetic connection to breath and why this matters
- Why breath is the only lever we can manually pull that directly affects stress in a physical manner
- The science of the mind-to-muscle connection and how to use it to your advantage
- How to develop a good foundation of breathwork and parasympathetic activity for our kids that will benefit them in daily life
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Josh Trent – Wellness Force
- Wellness Force Podcast
- BREATHE e-course: A Breath and Wellness 21-Day Guided Program (Get 20% off with the code WELLNESSMAMA)
- Video: What We Crave: Erinn Smith and Josh Trent
- The Way of the Superior Man by David Deida
- Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender by David R. Hawkins
More From Wellness Mama
- 375: How to Breathe the Right Way (& Why It Matters!) With Max Gomez From Breathwrk
- 347: The Neuroscience of Calm During Stressful Times With Dr. David Rabin
- 162: Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: How to Be 10% Happier
- 144: What Breath Acetone Can Tell You About Fat Burning, Metabolism & Inflammation
- How Breath Helps the Body: Simple Breathing Exercises You Can Do Anywhere
- Is Ozone Therapy a Health Fad or the Future?
Do you use breathwork as part of your daily routine? What other questions do you have? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Paleovalley and their Apple Cider Vinegar Complex. Their ACV comes in capsules, which is important because you can get all the healing properties of apple cider vinegar into your daily diet without the fuss or the burn or the taste that some people just don’t like. Apple cider vinegar is really cool because it’s been shown to support digestion and the proper breakdown of proteins and amino acids for better absorption. It’s also known for improving blood sugar response and this helps a lot with satiety and cravings. The main ingredient is acetic acid, which supports in the body and extracting nutrients from food. And using those by the body may actually help increase satiety and help the body avoid storing excess fat, which is really cool if you’re trying to lose or maintain weight. Paleovalley combines apple cider vinegar with other healing spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and lemon so that you get extra benefits for digestion. And this means that taking it with a meal can help you get the most bang for your buck from your food since it stimulates the body’s natural ability to produce HCL, which protects the stomach from pathogens and helps us break down our food. Other research shows that its ability to really help with blood sugar control. And there was even a cool study on type 2 diabetics who took two tablespoons before bed and saw a 4% to 6% reduction in their fasting blood sugar the next morning, which is a big deal if that’s something you’re tracking. You can learn more about this and all the Paleovalley products by going to paleovalley.com/mama and make sure to use the code Mama15 to save 15%.
This podcast is sponsored by Olipop, a company reinventing the idea of soda! It’s no secret that most things we think of as soda aren’t great for your body with the massive amounts of sugar and added artificial ingredients. But Olipop is a new kind of soda that tastes just like the sodas we grew up with, but unlike other sodas, it is packed with natural ingredients that are good for you and that help keep your gut happy too! They have delicious nostalgic flavors like Vintage Cola, Classic Root Beer, Orange Squeeze, Cherry Vanilla and Strawberry Vanilla. Strawberry is my current favorite but I really enjoy all of their flavors. They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health. There is also a massive difference in their sugar content. Their Vintage Cola has just two grams of sugar as compared to a regular Coca-Cola which has 39g of sugar. Their Orange Squeeze has 5g of sugar compared to Orange Fanta which has 44g of sugar. All of their products are Non-GMO, Vegan, Paleo and Keto-friendly with less than 8g net carbs per can. They are so confident that you will LOVE their products that they offer a 100% money back guarantee for orders placed through their website. We’ve worked out a special deal for Wellness Mama listeners. Save 15% off your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack as tis is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. Olipop can also be found in over 5,000 stores across the country, including Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans.