I love the convenience of energy bars, but I don’t love the ingredients in most of them! I’ve made date and nut based energy bars and chia seed energy bars ( a favorite at our house), but I’ve been experimenting with a recipe that would be largely coconut based, nut free, and a healthy alternative to sugary snacks when my kids are around other kids.
The kids also requested that I include chocolate in these energy bars, and this recipe was born. To make it chocolatey I use cocoa butter and powder. If you aren’t familiar with cocoa butter, don’t be intimidated! Both cocoa butter and powder come from cacao seeds and are used to make chocolate. Cocoa butter is the fat of the cacao seeds and comes in a block or sometimes thin wafers, for easier use. I buy mine on Amazon here. Cocoa powder is made from the solids left when the fat is removed.
These yummy energy bars have been a big hit! The only downside is that they have to be refrigerated to keep their firmness, but taste-wise, they are wonderful! Do you ever make snack bars at home? What’s your favorite recipe?
Chocolate Coconut Energy Bars Recipe
Yield 12 bars
An easy, healthy, grain-free energy bar made with chocolate, coconut, and honey for an energy-boosting snack.
- Melt the cocoa butter in a small pan over low heat.
- Add coconut oil and melt.
- Add honey and stir well.
- Stir in cocoa powder.
- Stir in the shredded coconunt and chia seeds.
- Add vanilla and stevia tincture if using.
- Pour into a parchment paper lined 9x13 baking dish and refrigerate for 1 hour or until hardened (can also freeze).
- Cut into squares/bars and enjoy!
I don't recommend eating these in the evening! They tend to give a little too much energy!
Serving Size 1 bar
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 37.3 g
Saturated Fat 28.8 g
Sodium 12 mg
Total Carbohydrates 16.8 g
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
Sugars 7.9 g
Protein 3.8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ever made your own energy bars? What flavor do you prefer? Share below!