I love the convenience of energy bars, but I don’t love the ingredients in most of them! I’ve made date and nut based energy bars and chia seed energy bars ( a favorite at our house), but I’ve been experimenting with a recipe that would be largely coconut based, nut free, and a healthy alternative to sugary snacks when my kids are around other kids.
The kids also requested that I include chocolate in these energy bars, and this recipe was born. To make it chocolatey I use cocoa butter and powder. If you aren’t familiar with cocoa butter, don’t be intimidated! Both cocoa butter and powder come from cacao seeds and are used to make chocolate. Cocoa butter is the fat of the cacao seeds and comes in a block or sometimes thin wafers, for easier use. I buy mine on Amazon here. Cocoa powder is made from the solids left when the fat is removed.
These yummy energy bars have been a big hit! The only downside is that they have to be refrigerated to keep their firmness, but taste-wise, they are wonderful! Do you ever make snack bars at home? What’s your favorite recipe?
Chocolate Coconut Energy Bars Recipe
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut oil and cocoa butter in a small pan over low heat.
- Add the honey and stir well.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, shredded coconunt, and chia seeds.
- Add the vanilla and stevia tincture, if using.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and refrigerate for 1 hour or until hardened (you can also freeze it to speed up the process).
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
Ever made your own energy bars? What flavor do you prefer? Share below!