After much trial and error, I present to you my Perfect Chicken Salad recipe. Why is it perfect, you ask? Besides tasting great, it is gluten free, mayo free, low carb and packed with nutrients. It uses probiotic rich yogurt in place of mayo for a unique twist.
Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe…
The only chicken salad I’ve ever tasted that I liked more was the family recipe that my friend Whitney makes. I’ve been trying to convince her to blog for years, so if she ever does, I’ll link to her recipe as well.
This healthy chicken salad recipe is fast to make (even faster if you use leftover chicken!) and is a great lunch, dinner, or snack. Pack in container or plastic bag for a fast on-the-go meal.
The best way I’ve found to bring this on the go is to put some at the bottom of a mason jar, add some lettuce or spinach and cap rightly. This will stay good for several days in the fridge and is a great way to pre-make meals for the week.
If you prefer mayo, you can use this homemade mayo which is made with coconut oil, olive oil or macadamia nut oil or buy this avocado oil mayo in place of processed vegetable oils. If you can’t consume eggs, you can make an avocado based substitute by blending avocado with a little apple cider vinegar and and olive oil.
I like this on top of cucumber slices or rolled up in lettuce leaves. It can top salad or be eaten alone.
Perfect Chicken Salad
Yield 4 -6
- 4-5 Chicken Breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup of grapes, sliced in half
- 1/2 to 1 cup plain, full fat yogurt
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP honey (optional)
- garlic powder, salt, pepper, basil to taste
- Lettuce or spinach
- Put chicken, walnuts, celery, grapes, and apple in bowl
- Add yogurt, honey, lemon juice and spices
- Mix until everything is evenly coated
- Serve over lettuce or spinach or wrap in leaves or romaine for chicken-salad wraps
What’s your favorite salad? Share below!