Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- Why do We Need Them Humic Acid and Fulvic Acid?
- Why Can't We Get Minerals From Our Food?
- How Humic and Fulvic Acids Work
- 1. Humic and Fulvic Acid vs. Multiple Diseases
- 2. Alleviate the Common Cold
- 3. Fighting Bronchitis
- 4. Nutrient Transport
- 5. Humic Acid vs. Cancer
- 6. Thyroid Health
- 7. Better Sleep
- 8. Humic Acid Protects Cell's Defense Mechanisms Against Viruses
- 9. Hemorrhagic Fever
- 10. Remove Pesticides From the Body
- 11. Electrical Balance in Cells
- 12. Immune Boosting
- 13. Ulcers
- 14. Pain Relief
- 15. Reduce Free Radicals
- 16. Replenish Minerals
- 17. Anti-Aging Effects
- Bioavailable Sources of Humic Acid
- What I Use
- Bottom Line
I’ve written before about Fulvic Acid and how I take fulvic and humic minerals. But did you know that Humic Acid is the byproduct of an 80 million year old, ongoing process of humification? It is a natural geological process (like photosynthesis) which creates a byproduct known as humates (which humic acid is derived from). It takes place as ancient seaweed, plants, vegetation and fruit trees compress over time.
The right combination of organic compounds combined with geological conditions such as pressure and temperature over the course of 80 million years is what makes humic acid so special. After ancient seaweed and vegetation were buried in certain parts of the world a very long time ago, these plants and seaweed pressurized and formed new substances that have been shown to drastically benefit human health. These are called humic acid (which is a bit of a misnomer because it’s not acidic, but rather is highly alkaline) and some brands I’ve tested have a pH of 10!
Relatively speaking, Humic Acid is not really a recent discovery. The first Western paper published on Humic Acids was in 1761 by Gottschalk Wallerius, and Humic Acid was then thoroughly studied by K. Archard in 1786. There are even transcripts from Ayurvedic Medicine that make references to Humic dating back over three thousand years.
Why do We Need Them Humic Acid and Fulvic Acid?
Humic acid has a subcomponent that is similar in molecular structure but unique in its benefits and chemical makeup. It’s called Fulvic Acid.
Together, Humic and Fulvic Acid contain large amounts of a wide variety of minerals, including trace minerals.
Minerals are essential for every aspect of your health. Bone development, heart rate regularity, heart health, eye health, digestive health, mental health, and for working together with other nutrients such as vitamins and enzymes, making minerals responsible to carry out many chemical reactions and other functions of the body.
When something starts to breakdown in your body, it can almost always be associated with a mineral deficiency.
Why Can’t We Get Minerals From Our Food?
There are many reasons why we can’t get enough minerals from our food. The two biggest reasons are the onset of large scale commercial agriculture which uses soil depleting methods and agricultural chemicals, mostly fertilizers and pesticides.
100 years ago, farmers used to put rich compost back into the soil as fertilizers. They used to rotate crops and let fields rest and heal. But since our food production system has become so commercialized, it’s no longer possible for farmers to put back nutrients into the soil on such a large scale. It’s also not economically feasible.
How Humic and Fulvic Acids Work
The biochemistry and positive effect that Humic and Fulvic Acid have on the human body can be simplified into four sentences:
- Humic and Fulvic Acids are ancient substances that give you an abundance of minerals that you can’t get in food anymore.
- Minerals are essential for good health and longevity.
- Your body knows how to assimilate Humic and Fulvic Acid, as they turn on physiological switches that activate certain biological functions in the body such as disease prevention or disease symptoms.
- You can’t get these minerals that are essential for your health anywhere else.
Our bodies already intrinsically know how to assimilate minerals. In the modern world, we are literally starved for them. The body needs to consume them, and thankfully we now know that’s possible with Humic Acid.
17 Benefits Of Humic and Fulvic Acid
As minerals decline in the food supply, health problems inevitably increase.
For example, many heart conditions are associated with deficiencies of minerals like chromium, copper, magnesium, selenium, and potassium.
1. Humic and Fulvic Acid vs. Multiple Diseases
As I’ve explained before, a deficiency in even just one mineral like magnesium can be associated with dozens of conditions and can impact the thyroid, endocrine system, heart, bones and many other parts of the body.
2. Alleviate the Common Cold
A 1991 study found that regular doses of humic acid and fulvic acid could help alleviate the symptoms of the common cold quickly and comfortably.
3. Fighting Bronchitis
A 1984 study looked at the use of Fulvic/Humic acids in chronic bronchitis and found that these were as effective (or more so) than conventional drug therapies at alleviating symptoms.
(source: Jingrong Chen et al, Jiangxi humic acid, 2 (1984))
4. Nutrient Transport
“Fulvic acid readily complexes with minerals and metals making them available to plant roots and easily absorbable through cell walls. It makes minerals such as iron, that are not usually very mobile, easily transported through plant structures.”
-Enhance and transport nutrients – Prakash, A. (1971). Fertility of the Sea, 2, 351-368.
5. Humic Acid vs. Cancer
“Patients with cancer causing tumors of the esophagus had 100% success rate in preventing tumor progression into the cancerous state when treated for two years with a humic extract solution.”
-Yuan, Shenyuan; Fulvic Acid, 4 1988; in Application of Fulvic acid and its derivatives in the fields of agriculture and medicine; First Edition: June 1993
6. Thyroid Health
A 1982 study found that injections with humic substances were highly effective (as high as 90%) at stopping the growth of thyroid tumors.
7. Better Sleep
The majority of patients who used humic and fulvic acids for other purposes reported better sleep as well.
8. Humic Acid Protects Cell’s Defense Mechanisms Against Viruses
“Preliminary in-vitro studies with Coxsackie A9 virus, influenza A virus, and herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) have already shown that Humic substances are effective against both naked enveloped DNA viruses.”
-Klocking and Sprosig, 1972, 1975; Thiel et al., 1977)
9. Hemorrhagic Fever
“Hemorrhagic Fever patients with normally incurable epidemic Hemorrhagic Fever were able to be successfully treated with humic extracts, which stopped bleeding, restored circulation, removed clots, was anti-viral, and significantly bolstered and regulated the immune system.”
-Yinzhang Cui, Humic Acid, 1 (1991)
10. Remove Pesticides From the Body
Humic acid has shown to break apart toxic pesticides, such as paraquat and help remove them from the body.
(source: paraquat- Fisher, A.M., Winterler, J.S. & Mill, T. (1967). Primary Petrochemical Processes in photolysis mediated by humic substances. In R.G. Zika & W.J. Cooper (Eds). Petrochemistry of environmental aquatic system (141-156) (ACS Sympoium Series 327). Washington DC: American Chemical Society)
11. Electrical Balance in Cells
“Fulvic acid has proven to be a powerful organic electrolyte, serving to balance cell life. If the individual cell is restored to its normal chemical balance thereby turning its electrical potential, we will have given life where death and disintegration would normally occur within plant and animal cell.”
(source: Jackson, William R. (1993). Humic, Fulvic and Microbial Balance: Organic Soil Conditioning 329. Evergreen, Colorado: Jackson Research Center)
12. Immune Boosting
Several immune-boosting properties of fulvic and humic acids have been identified, which may help protect against a variety of viruses. Studies in China showed that children responded to humic substances for viral respiratory illness that had been previously unresponsive to treatment.
These substances have been used externally as masks, poultices and baths to help remedy skin conditions including ulcers and skin diseases. In fact, one study found a greater than 90% success rate with using fulvic/humic mineral baths for ulcers. A 1991 study found this same effect on internal ulcers as well.
(source: Yuan, Shenyuan; Fulvic Acid, 4 1988; in Application of Fulvic acid and its derivatives in the fields of agriculture and medicine; First Edition: June 1993)
14. Pain Relief
Patients using Fulvic/Humic for other health purposes reported less pain as well as better sleep.
15. Reduce Free Radicals
A 1995 study found that these ancient substances may reduce the effect of free radicals in the body.
16. Replenish Minerals
Active people deplete minerals in their body through sweating. Because of higher activity levels, there have been extra, unmet nutritional demands on athletes which not only has a negative impact on their performance, but it also places their health at risk. The reality is athletes need more minerals, amino acids, enzymes, phytonutrients and vitamins than those who are not active and fulvic and humic minerals are one way to help replenish mineral levels in the body.
17. Anti-Aging Effects
“Hospital studies in China show that elderly patients, ages 60-90, when treated with fulvic acid, regained appetite, slept better, and became more energetic. Other hospital studies coming from India show that fulvic acids are considered to be a powerful anti-aging therapy that also able to help with symptoms of dementia.”
(source: Erchuan Wang et al, Humic acid, 3 (1991))
Bioavailable Sources of Humic Acid
As with any supplement, if it can’t be effectively used by the body, you are just creating expensive urine, and unfortunately, there is a lot of information to sort out when it comes to humic and fulvic supplements. In researching, I’ve found four ways to help determine the quality:
- Does it Dissolve? One way to tell how pure and bioavailable humic and fulvic acids are is to see how well they dissolve with and bind to water. The finer and more concentrated the humic and fulvic acid, the more bioavailable it will be to the body and the more easily and quickly it will dissolve in water. I’ve only found one brand that dissolves completely and easily and this is the one I take.
- Measure the pH: Another way to determine how pure and bioavailable humic and fulvic acids are, is by measuring the pH. A high quality source of humic/fulvic acids should be very alkaline with a pH of at least 10.
- Lab testing: The final way to test purity is through the labs. Is it organic? Is it GMO? Has it come in contact with acid rain? Is it contaminated? A lab test should always be done to test humic and fulvic acid’s purity.
- Sourcing Location: Antony Haynes, a leading Humic and Fulvic researcher, has determined that humic and fulvic acid from New Mexico is the highest quality in the world. (I personally tested the pH of some humic and fulvic from there and got a reading of 10 when I mixed BlackMP’s humic and fulvic powder with water).
What I Use
I’ve evaluated multiple brands of humic and fulvic acid and found one brand that meets the above criteria. BlackMP (MP= Minerals and Probiotics) Living Powder contains over 77 minerals from pure humic and fulvic acid and is sourced from New Mexico. It also contains Soil Based Organism probiotics in their spore form and has a pH of 10.
Before trying this supplement, I verified that it:
- Is the highest grade, extremely highly concentrated humic and fulvic acid
- Sourced from New Mexico in the USA
- Uses certified organic and kosher humic and fulvic ingredients, the only one of its kind on the market
- Is GMO free and never comes in contact with acid rain
- Contains 77 discovered minerals and trace elements, and potentially more yet to be discovered minerals
- Uses a powerful blend of 5 SBO Probiotics in their Spore Form
- When mixed with water, it has an alkaline pH of 10
- Uses Humic and Fulvic acid that is Banned Substance Control Group certified drug free
- Uses a proprietary extraction process with no heat or chemicals
It is frustrating that our food supply has declined to the point that we truly can’t get all of our nutrients from diet alone anymore. At times, it can seem overwhelming to even try to live a healthier lifestyle with so much stacked against us. It can also seem overwhelming to sort through the mountain of information about supplements and lifestyle changes that all claim to be a remedy for every modern problem.
I was able to negotiate a 50% discount for Wellness Mama readers on Black MP. Use the code “wellnessmama” and Click Here for your discount.
Do you take any humic or fulvic acid supplements?