I’ve been on an Italian chicken variation kick lately. I absolutely love Chicken Piccata and finally figuring out a great recipe for it which inspired a lot of chicken cooking around here lately. I’ve made healthy variations of Chicken Cacciatore, Chicken Florentine, Chicken Marsala, and Chicken Carbonara.
In restaurants, this is often made with an extremely thick cream sauce and served over pasta. I substituted spaghetti squash, made a healthier (and optional) sauce and added some wilted spinach and asparagus for flavor and extra nutrition. My kids liked this one and my hubby (who despises the texture of wilted spinach) even ate it without complaint.
Chicken Carbonara Over Spaghetti Squash
Yield 4 -6
Delicious and healthy chicken carbonara served over nutrient-packed spaghetti squash.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrape out the seeds and stringy parts of the spaghetti squash with a spoon and place, face down on a baking sheet or in a large baking dish with 1/4 inch of water.
- Place in oven and cook 30 minutes or until soft when poked with a fork.
- While that is cooking, cut the chicken in half lengthwise to make it thinner and pound with a meat hammer or the bottom of a cast iron pan.
- In a large skillet, place the asparagus and about 1/4 inch of water and cook over high heat until asparagus is bright green and starting to soften. The water should evaporate completely off and when it has, add 1 tablespoon butter (total, not per person) and sprinkle with some sea salt.
- Remove asparagus from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in the same pan until crispy and remove bacon.
- Cook chicken in the bacon grease in the same pan, and sprinkle each side with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and italian seasoning.
- When chicken has cooked through, remove and set aside.
- Dice onion and cook in remaining bacon grease until starting to soften.
- Add spinach and extra butter if needed and cook until barely wilted.
- Add cream (if using-totally optional) and about 1/4 teaspoon of the above spices.
- At this point, the spaghetti squash should be soft so remove from oven and scrape out insides with a fork.
- To serve, put spaghetti squash on a plate, top with some wilted spinach, then a piece of chicken, some crumbled bacon and the asparagus (chop into small pieces). Top with parmesan if using.
Would you try this version of chicken carbonara? What’s your favorite chicken dish? Share below!