Nothing beats a meal made from scratch with wholesome ingredients… but it’s hard to pull off every night. So when I find a recipe that is fast and delicious and healthy, I’m thrilled! This lemon herb chicken recipe is quick to make and packs a punch of flavor from the lemon and seasonings.
Pair it with a roasted vegetable or fresh salad, and dinner (or lunch) is served!
Lemon Herb Chicken: From Refrigerator to Table in 20 Minutes
The key to cooking this dish so quickly is to go about in a specific way. I slice the chicken breasts in half so they are thinner and cook faster. It’s also easier to cook them in a pan on the stovetop this way. Since they cook faster, you don’t have to worry about the edges becoming dry and overcooked while the middle is still cooking.
Here’s the time-saving method in a nutshell:
- Mix spices in a small bowl before handling chicken for less mess, or use a pre-made homemade spice blend. I use Italian seasoning for a lot of recipes, so I make my own in large batches. That way it’s always ready in the cupboard whenever I need to use it.
- Take four chicken breasts, place them flat on a cutting board, and slice them horizontally into two pieces.
- Squeeze the lemon over the chicken and sprinkle it with the spice mixture.
- Arrange chicken in the pan in a single layer. You may need to use a second pan or cook them in batches.
More Ways to Enjoy
I usually like to serve this lemon and herb chicken with a side salad and some mushroom risotto. Or, keep prepared chicken in the fridge to slice and toss on top of a salad later in the week.
This lemon herb chicken would be great in:
- Chicken Fiesta Salad – Specifically calls for leftover chicken and is delicious!
- Chicken Pineapple Kebabs – Cut chicken into chunks and thread onto skewers with fruits and veggies for a fast lunch or dinner. They can either be reheated or eaten cold.
- Mediterranean Garlic Lemon Chicken – Soon I’ll be trying making this in a one-pot meal with sweet potatoes, similar to this recipe. Let me know what you try!
- With Mushroom Risotto… yum!
Italian Lemon Herb Chicken Recipe
- Slice each chicken breast in half horizontally to make 8 pieces of even thickness. If some parts are thicker than others, you can use a meat hammer to pound the thicker parts even with the thinner parts.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice over the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and sprinkle it on both sides of the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, place the chicken in the skillet in a single layer. You may need to cook in two batches depending on the size of your skillet.
- Sauté for about 8 minutes minutes per side, or until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through.
- You can squeeze additional lemon juice over the chicken when it’s finished cooking if you like yours extra lemony.
- Serve with finely chopped parsley for garnish if desired.
Do you have a favorite fast and easy chicken meal? Share below!