I used to love fried cheese sticks in high school and college and would even just order these as my meal in restaurants. Now that we don’t eat grains or vegetable oils, I decided that we needed to find a healthy version that we could make at home (and much cheaper too!).
After some trial and error (and lots of burnt cheese), I’m happy with this recipe…
Fried Cheese Sticks Recipe
Yield 4 -6
A healthy take on mozzarella cheese sticks - grain free!
- The day before you are planning to make, or at least 3-4 hours before, put cheese sticks in the freezer on a plate.
- Once cheese is completely frozen, crack eggs into a medium bowl and beat with about a teaspoon of water until creamy.
- Combine the almond flour, italian seasoning and salt on a medium plate.
- Put the tallow, lard or oil in a small pan so that it is about an inch deep and bring to medium high heat.... it needs to be hot before the cheese goes in.
- Remove the cheese from the fridge and dip the cheese in the egg mixture, then in the almond flour mixture, then back in the egg mixture and repeat if necessary until well coated. They need to be coated completely so they seal and the cheese can't escape.
- Drop 3 or 4 at a time into the heated oil for a couple of minutes until they are starting to brown and carefully remove. I removed them with a flat pasta scoop (finally, a good use for it) but a slotted spoon will work too... you just don't want to squeeze them with tongs or poke with a fork, as the cheese will escape and make a big mess.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining cheese until all is cooked. Oil can be re-used.
- Serve with homemade pasta/marinara sauce or enjoy plain! 🙂
What was your favorite “bad” food before switching to a real food diet? Do you like cheese sticks? Share below!