The cost of taking a family of eight out to eat means I’ve pretty much made my peace with cooking at home, other than the occasional date night out. I’ve made it my mission to recreate my former favorite takeout dishes in a healthier, real food style. This healthy Thai chicken curry recipe is the perfect meal to spice up a weeknight!
When I Fell in Love With Curry
I tried curry once in my younger years and hated it, but found out later in life I just needed a less spicy version. The more I got into health after having kids, the more I learned about the benefits of using spices and herbs in cooking. I knew I had to give curry another try as it is brimming with some of the best-for-you anti-inflammatory spices: turmeric, ginger, coriander, fennel, and even cinnamon.
I decided to make my own curry powder mix from scratch at home. The beauty of making your own spice blends is that you can adjust the spice level to just what you like! My homemade curry powder mix is now a staple in the kitchen and I’d even venture to say curry dishes are some of our most requested family meals now. (See our favorites below the featured recipe.)
This Thai chicken curry is so easy and delicious it’s become a regular in my meal plan rotation.
Instant Pot, Meet Thai Chicken Curry!
OK, so maybe I’m on such good terms with my Instant Pot by this point that I talk to it sometimes! If you have one, you probably understand…
I was trying to think of how to jazz up some boring chicken for a last-minute dinner and decided to adapt this curry dish for the Instant Pot. (Don’t worry I’ve included a slow cooker option too.)
If you have an Instant Pot, this meal takes only 30 minutes from start to finish and dirties only one pot and a cutting board! That’s exactly my kind of meal and another reason why I love my IP.
Don’t be afraid … it’s simple, safe, and doesn’t have much of a learning curve if you read a few reviews to get started.
Slow Cooker and Freezer Friendly
Here’s a tip for making it through a busy week: batch cooking! This recipe makes it easy.
- On a good day to cook, double (or triple!) the ingredients and chop and prep this meal on the weekend. Just omit the coconut milk (you get a better texture when it hasn’t been frozen) and garnishes for now.
- Divide into two even portions and place into freezer-safe container. (If using freezer bags, be sure to lay flat.) Write the remaining ingredients to add on the label so they’re not forgotten.
- When ready to use, preheat the Instant Pot by setting it on sauté for a few minutes until the meat and vegetables begin to break apart. Add coconut milk, mix briefly, seal the lid, and proceed with cooking!
Put your feet up … dinner will be ready in about 30 minutes!
P.S. Don’t worry, slow cooker option in the recipe.
Thai Chicken Curry Recipe (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups onions chopped
- 2 cups red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups green bell pepper chopped
- 1 lb white or sweet potatoes roughly chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2- inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 2 TBSP curry powder or make your own
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 TBSP arrowroot powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- lime cut into wedges
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Mix all ingredients in Instant Pot except garnishes.
- Seal and set to high manual pressure for 15 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally and serve.
- Top with garnishes and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Option:Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high, or until chicken is cooked through. Note: For an authentic flare, use Thai basil if you can find it!
Like this Thai Chicken Curry recipe? Also try:
- Pakistani Kima Recipe – This 30 minute, 1 pan recipe is a no fuss, but adventurous weeknight meal with ground beef, curry powder, green beans, and a touch of cinnamon.
- Healthy Curried Shrimp and Vegetables Recipe – The ultimate easy healthy recipe. Go from frozen to on the table with only 10 minutes prep and 15 minutes in a pan.
- Butter Chicken Recipe – Chicken, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, and other exotic spices made slightly sweet and creamy with a swirl of tomato paste and coconut milk. Make in slow cooker or Instant Pot for a quick and satisfying meal.
Do you like the flavor of curry? What’s your favorite ethnic comfort food? Please share!