Key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts, and when made this way, it is healthy enough to eat for breakfast. I know… it’s not made in a Crock-Pot (though I’ve got a great Crock-Pot cheesecake recipe coming soon!).
Healthy Key Lime Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Powder almonds or pecans in a high powered blender.
- Mix powdered nuts with coconut oil or butter and almond butter. Press into the bottom of a pie pan.
- Put the crust in the oven for about 10 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs in the blender and beat until smooth and frothy.
- Add the lime juice and zest, vanilla, coconut flour, coconut milk, and sweetener to taste.
- Blend until smooth.
- When crust is browned, slowly pour the filling into the pan. If you don't pour slowly, some of the crust may float up and mix with the filling. This is not a big deal, but messes with the texture.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the middle doesn't wiggle when you shake the pan.
- When set, remove and let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- This is the hardest step... put in the refrigerator and do not eat until it has cooled completely.
- While you are waiting, whip the cream and vanilla or stevia if you are using.
- Top the cooled pie with whipped cream.
- Enjoy... even for breakfast!
Are you a key lime pie person? What’s your favorite healthy dessert? Let me know below!