Liquid stevia extract is a relatively easy tincture to make at home, and it is a less expensive alternative to the store bought versions. If you grow your own stevia, you can preserve the leaves while still fresh to make the most potent extract. This is my basic stevia recipe, and it is suitable for kids and pregnant women as the alcohol cooks out.
I get dried stevia leaf from here in bulk, or you can preserve your own.
Homemade Stevia Extract Recipe
- quart or pint glass jar with lid
- fresh or dried stevia leaf
- enough vodka rum, or Everclear to fill the jar
- Sterilize the glass jar and lid in boiling water.
- Put enough fresh or dried stevia leaf in the jar to fill it 2/3 full.
- Pour alcohol of choice over the leaves to fill the jar and put the lid on tightly.
- Put in a place where you will see it and let it sit for 36 hours, shaking occasionally.
- Strain the liquid into a small saucepan.
- Turn the heat on low and bring to a simmer. Do not boil! It will ruin the taste!!!
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring constantly and making sure not to boil. It will thicken. When it gets to your desired thickness, remove from heat.
- Store in small jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
This can be used in baking recipes like Crock-Pot cheesecake or pumpkin cheesecake. It is also great in coffee, tea, chai lattes, or pumpkin lattes. It is pretty much the only sweetener we use in our house and by making it ourselves, we avoid the bitter aftertaste in the bleached store versions.
Do you use stevia? Ever made it? Share below!