At my house, we make almost all of our own toiletries, including deodorant and toothpaste. I’d read plenty to convince me that conventional shaving soaps were relatively toxic, but for a long time, I just used natural bar soap instead. Over time, I developed my own shaving soap recipes that work better than soap and leave skin soft without the chemicals.
Foaming Shave Soap Recipe
This is the shave soap I use most often in the shower because it is easy, inexpensive and works great. Some men may find it harsh on the face due to the high liquid castile content.
Foaming Shave Soap Ingredients
- 1/4 cup Natural Aloe Vera Gel (not juice!)
- 1/4 cup Liquid castile Soap
- 1 TBSP Olive or Almond Oil
- 1/4 cup warm Distilled Water (or lavender infused)
- Vitamin E or Grapefruit Seed Extract (to preserve)
- Essential Oils for Fragrance (optional) – I use lavender
- 8 ounce or larger Foaming Soap Bottle
Foaming Shave Soap Instructions
- Mix ingredients in foamer bottle and shake gently until mixed.
- Shake well before each use.
This recipe will last a couple of months (I use up within about 2 months, so I don’t know beyond that). I don’t recommend citrus oils if you are going to be in the sun, since they increase sun sensitivity.
Shave Cream Recipe
I don’t use this recipe as often, and more in the winter for extra moisturizing, but it makes a rich, creamy lather and works really well. This one is also better for men’s faces, as it is more gentle than the above recipe.
Shave Cream Ingredients
- 1/4 cup olive, almond or coconut oil
- 2-3 TBSP Shea or Cocoa Butter
- 1/4 cup Aloe Gel or Honey
- 1 TBSP Kaolin clay or white cosmetic clay (optional)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup Liquid castile Soap
- Vitamin E or GSE (to preserve)
Shave Cream Instructions
- Melt the oil and shea/cocoa butter in a double boiler until just melted
- Remove from heat and add other ingredients
- Whisk or blend well for several minutes
- Transfer to jar or container to store
- Check while it is cooling to make sure it doesn’t start to separate. If it does, shake or mix well to re-incorporate.
- Lasts up to two months (not sure about longer)
Natural Bar Shave Soap Recipe
If you don’t happen to have all these extra ingredients on hand, this is any easy way to modify a regular bar soap to make it more shave-friendly. It is a little time consuming, but these bar soaps last a long time and are great for making shave mugs if the men in your life happen to use shave mugs and brushes.
Shaving Soap Ingredients
- 1 bar of natural, handcrafted soap (store bought regular soaps don’t work!)
- 1 TBSP olive or almond oil or aloe vera gel
- 1-2 TBSP white clay, french clay, kaolin, or cosmetic clay
Shaving Soap Instructions
- Grate soap and on low heat, melt soap down with oil or aloe vera. It will take a while, so be patient and stir often.
- Once melted, stir in the cosmetic clay (this makes a richer lather and is great for the skin).
- Pour into molds (I use cardboard) or old mugs and let set for several days until it re-hardens. Will last months and will cure more over time, making it longer lasting.
If you like this recipe, check out these other homemade beauty recipes:
Natural Homemade Substitutes for Conventional Beauty Products
Seven Natural Remedies you Already Have at Home
Seven Natural Beauty Tricks From Your Kitchen
Make Your Own Natural Deodorant With This Simple Recipe
UPDATE: Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe!
Natural Homemade Sunscreen Recipe
Natural Bug Spray Recipes that Work
Ever made your own shave soap? Still use the toxic aerosol stuff? Share below!