I’m a huge fan of coconut oil and its many uses. At our house, we use it in everything from cooking to toothpaste.
These coconut oil lotion bar sticks are my most recent DIY project with coconut oil and I’ll be making a few more batches to have on hand for Christmas gifts.
What are Lotion Bars?
Lotion bars are simple-to-make bars that are made to be used on the skin when it is dry. Unlike soap, they aren’t made to be used for cleansing or on wet skin, but are a great way to moisturize and nourish skin after bathing or showering.
They are often made with ingredients like:
Where to get Coconut Oil Lotion Bar Ingredients & Supplies:
Like my original lotion bars, these are meant to be used on dry skin. They are even more simple to make with only two ingredients: coconut oil and beeswax.
I made these in empty reusable plastic tubes for easy use and application. These are the tubes I used but there are some other less-expensive options that look like regular deodorant tubes:
- White empty deodorant tubes – pack of five (2.5 oz)
- Clear empty deodorant tubes – pack of five (2.5 oz)
- Black deodorant tubes – pack of five (2.5 oz)
- Red and green tubes – pack of 16 (2 oz)
Coconut Oil Lotion Bar Stick Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup beeswax pastilles (measure dry)
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- essential oils of choice (I use 15-20 drops of peppermint, lavender or citrus oils)
What to Do:
- Melt beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler or in a glass bowl on top of a small saucepan of boiling water.
- When melted, remove from heat and stir in essential oils if using.
- Carefully pour into empty plastic tubes.
- Let harden completely before using or moving them. They can be carefully moved into the refrigerator to speed up this process.
- Store at room temp (below 85 degrees) and use as needed on dry skin.
Note: This will make 5-6 lotion bar tubes depending on the ingredients used.
If you want to add other skin-nourishing ingredients like shea butter and cocoa butter, here are some of my other favorite lotion bar recipes:
- Basic Lotion bars with shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax
- Baby Balm lotion bars
- Hypoallergenic lotion bars recipe
- Shea butter lotion bar stick
- Eczema Relief Lotion Bars
Have you made skin care products before? What did you make?