It’s always nice to get a little pampering in, especially as a busy mom. It’s even better when your pampering time nourishes your body, eliminates toxins, and even fights cellulite. With this grapefruit mint Himalayan salt scrub, you can accomplish just that.
Why a Scrub?
Just the act of rubbing the skin helps to stimulate fluid flow, reduce cellulite, and improve the overall tone and health of your skin. Dry brushing is a great way to accomplish this, but a Himalayan salt scrub will also stimulate your skin and provide even more benefits. By adding some essential oils, you’ll up the skin benefits even further and add a hearty dose of mood-improving aromatherapy.
Most scrubs include a carrier oil of some kind to help the scrub glide over the skin. This recipe uses coconut oil for its amazing skin benefits, and some lighter sweet almond oil to tone it down while still moisturizing. I’ve also included a small amount of castile soap to help cleanse the skin as you moisturize, for a truly all-in-one scrub.
Himalayan Salt Benefits
Himalayan salt is my favorite sea salt to keep around because it’s so rich in minerals and trace elements, like calcium, magnesium, and iron. When consumed it can help to eliminate toxins, balance electrolyte and pH levels, strengthen bones, and support circulation to name a few things. In this scrub you’re nourishing your skin with all of the minerals and trace elements of the salt (source).
Why Grapefruit Essential Oil?
Grapefruit essential oil helps to stimulate the lymphatic system and eliminate excess water weight. It also helps to boost circulation and diminish the appearance of cellulite. This study found that even smelling grapefruit can boost metabolism and speed weight loss. It’s also very high in limonene, which helps protect cells from free radical damage (source).
Although more commonly used for digestion and to aid in clear breathing, peppermint oil with its menthol content also makes an invigorating salt scrub. Peppermint helps wake you up and increases energy. It can also help to balance oil production for clearer skin. I like using it to help soothe headaches. Being a very strong oil, make sure that you only use it properly diluted, and not on little children.
Himalayan Salt Scrub Ingredients
- 1 cup finely ground Himalayan salt
- 1 T coconut oil
- 2 T sweet almond oil
- 1 T castile soap
- 20 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- In a small glass bowl add the coconut oil, essential oils, and sweet almond oil. Mash it all together with a fork or rubber spatula.
- Add in the castile soap, and the Himalayan salt.
- Store your Himalayan salt scrub in an 8 oz glass jar. To use, rub all over your body to cleanse and exfoliate, then rinse off.
Tips for Using
- Since this product is made with oil, be careful when using it in the shower as it can make the floor slippery.
- Some aromatherapists consider grapefruit essential oil to be phototoxic, which means it can cause sun sensitivity if left on. There shouldn’t be a concern since the product is washed off, but if you are sensitive to sun or going out in the sun right away, use caution.
Ever used a salt scrub? What’s your favorite combination to make them?