I must admit… I’ve never had cashew chicken at a restaurant so I don’t know what it is “supposed” to taste like. I saw a lot of pictures of cashew chicken going around Pinterest, and they looked good. Rather than clicking on the link to discover that the recipe probably called for a can of soda, or burlap, or something from IKEA, I figured I’d just experiment and figure out a good recipe for cashew chicken.
This is one of the few recipes that I’ve liked on the first try. The flavors blend really well together, and the lettuce as a wrap is the perfect crispy complement to the sweet and savory chicken.
Feel free to let me know in the comments what regular cashew chicken typically includes, but this recipe is a new family favorite at our house:
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wrap Recipe
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the chicken.
- Sprinkle with the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and basil (if using) and saute until the chicken is almost completely cooked.
- Add the coconut aminos and continue to stir until the liquid from the coconut aminos starts to evaporate off.
- Add the maple syrup and continue to stir for another 2-3 minutes or until maple syrup and coconut aminos have cooked down and there is very little liquid left in the pan.
- Add cashews and stir until heated.
- Let cool slightly and serve in lettuce leaves, topped with thinly sliced red onions.
More Recipes Like This
- Asian Lettuce Wraps (like P.F. Chang)
- Easy Yum Yum Sauce Recipe
- Fish Tacos in Cabbage Leaves
- Tex-Mex Lettuce Tacos Recipe
Ever made cashew chicken? Do you like lettuce wraps? Share below!