Ice cream is a kid (and adult!) favorite dessert, but store bought ones often contain high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors and flavors, or other ingredients that we avoid.
This recipe is a healthy and incredibly delicious alternative to store bought ice cream and it is simple to make at home. We use this ice cream maker (which makes ice cream in 20 minutes without ice or salt) but if you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can also use this tin can method (PDF) which is a fun activity for the kids!
Homemade ice cream is very high in brain healthy fats and nutrients. For dairy sensitive, the butter can be omitted and this is a delicious coconut-pecan recipe. Another variation is to add some shredded coconut and coconut oil in place of the butter for a coconut ice cream.
I’ll be posting more of our favorite ice cream recipes soon, but here’s the one my kids currently love…
- 1 can of BPA free coconut milk (or two cups fresh raw milk or coconut milk)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) grassfed butter (I get mine here)
- 2-3 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Himalayan Salt or Real Salt
- 4 raw egg yolks from trusted source pastured hens (optional but really improves texture)
- ¼ cup each of maple syrup and honey (or either one, to taste)
- ½ to 1 cup chopped pecans
- Place all ingredients except pecans in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Best if butter is softened but not melted.
- Pour in to ice cream maker or small tin can for that method.
- Turn on ice cream maker and follow user instructions or roll/shake the can for 20+ minutes until done...
Next on our list to make: Mint Chip, Raspberry Chip, Mocha and others…. what is your favorite?