Oh stretch marks…
I got them with my first, and have since gotten rid of them, even through four more pregnancies (and I haven’t gotten any new ones).
I think it is largely due to the healthier diet and lifestyle I’ve adopted during that time, but today I’m also sharing my salve that I make to help keep belly skin smooth during pregnancy. I call it Tiger Salve since I’ve often heard stretch marks referred to as “Tiger Stripes.”
Don’t get me wrong, I’m proud of my stretch marks and wouldn’t trade a second of motherhood for perfect abs, but I also prefer to avoid getting any more stripes! I do think that diet is a crucial part of pregnancy health though, so this alone won’t keep stretch marks away for everyone…
This salve is designed to keep skin supple so that it can accomodate a growing belly, but also to sooth any skin irritation that accompanies pregnancy. It’s also super simple to make, so I can even manage to remember the recipe when I have placenta brain…
- If using the calendula and dried ginger, add to Apricot Kernel or Almond Oil and place in a double boiler or bowl over a small pan of water. (or use a glass jar for easier clean up)
- Bring to a simmer and heat for 30 minutes on medium low heat to incorporate the properties of the herbs.
- Strain through a cheesecloth or metal strainer to remove herbs. YOu will want to make sure you still have at least 2 tablespoons of liquid oil left.
- Return the oil to the double boiler and add the shea butter and coconut oil.
- Heat until melted and stir to incorporate.
- Remove from heat and store in small glass jar.
- Add any pregnancy safe essential oils if desired.
- Use as needed on skin before, during or after pregnancy as needed.
Ever made homemade beauty products? How did they turn out?