I absolutely love the flavors of a Philly Cheese Steak and this easy dinner idea is inspired by the Philadelphia classic!
When we switched to eating grain free (and avoiding chemicals in food), the classic version served on white bread with nacho cheese sauce wasn’t on the menu anymore, but this healthier adaption is a favorite in our house. Even better, it is simple to make and the kids enjoy the unusual presentation…
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Butter or Coconut Oil
- 8 ounces of Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
- 2 cups sliced button Mushrooms
- 4 Red, Yellow or Green Bell Peppers
- 1 pound of Nutriate Free Roast Beef (or ground beef or leftover steak or roast)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash peppers and cut in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds and dry for planting or discard.
- Heat the butter or coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Slice the onion and add to skillet.
- Saute about 5-8 minutes until starting to become translucent.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms and add to the pan. Saute another 5-8 minutes.
- Slice the roast beef into strips and add to pan. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until hot (assuming the meat is pre-cooked... if not, cook meat first until done).
- Place the peppers in a large baking dish, open side up. Spoon the meat/onion/mushroom mixture evenly into the bell peppers. Top each pepper with the cheese and bake for at least 20 minutes or until well cooked. Enjoy!
Have you ever converted an old favorite food to a healthier version? Share below!