This is one of our favorite sweet potato recipes and it makes a filling and easy meal. These are surprisingly great for breakfast and you could substitute any meat or leftover meat for the sausage. We make a bunch of these ahead and wrap in foil for quick meals. They are also wonderful post-workout meals after weight training to refuel muscles without grains.
If you bake the sweet potatoes, and assemble the toppings, you can also make a “Sweet Potato Bar” to let everyone in your family create their own stuffed sweet potato creation.
- 1 lb ground sausage of choice
- 4 handfuls of raw spinach (about one bag or bunch)
- 2 onions
- 4-6 medium/large sweet potatoes
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage, and basil to taste
- Optional toppings- raw, sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
- Bake sweet potatoes for 45 minutes to an hour until soft (can be done ahead of time and re-heated)
- Brown sausage in a large skillet.
- When it is almost browned, dice onion and add.
- When onions have started to soften, add the spinach.
- Saute until all are cooked and spice to taste.
- When sweet potatoes are soft, remove and cut in half lengthwise.
- In a large baking dish or on a baking sheet, Flatten the sweet potato a little bit and add a big scoop of the stuffing mixture to the middle of the sweet potato, evenly dividing among them.
- Top with cheese (if using)
- Return to the oven for about 10 minutes to incorporate flavors and melt cheese.
- Top with sour cream (optional) and serve.
What is your favorite way to prepare sweet potatoes? What toppings would you add to this? Share below!