This is a really easy slow-cooker recipe that makes a versatile end product. This chicken tastes very similar to the chicken used in Mexican restaurants in their chicken taco salads. My kids will eat it plain, but I like it on a large salad with avocado and sour cream!
This recipe also freezes and reheats extremely well so it makes a great packed lunch or can be doubled to have a quick meal later. I like to pack as a salad by placing some at the bottom of a quart mason jar, topping with sour cream, then salsa, then cheese, then avocado, then lettuce. It can be dumped upside down for a 2-second salad on-the-go.
I get all the herbs for this recipe here since I can order them in bulk (saves money) and they are much more flavorful than many I’ve found at the stores.
- • 3-4 Chicken breasts or 5-6 thighs (breast is better in this recipe)
- • 1 cup of salsa of choice (look for no artificial ingredients or sugar or make your own)
- • 2 teaspoons each of: onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin - or more to taste
- • Optional if serving as a salad: lettuce or spinach, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, salsa
- Put chicken in slow cooker and sprinkle with spices.
- Pour salsa over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours (check after 5 as temp can vary a lot) until tender. Shred with forks before serving.
- When done, let cool slightly and serve over salad with desired toppings or use alone.