If you were hoping for some egg nog, without the dairy and chemical additives, this recipe is a healthy alternative this Christmas season.
In fact, this can be a healthy source of beneficial fats and protein…
With the addition of Rum or Brandy, it also becomes a keep-a-smile-on-your-face-because-the-kids-get-to-stay-up-past-midnight-on-Christmas-Eve beverage.
I’ve never been a huge fan of egg nog, but I actually like this recipe. Try it! You might too!
- 6 cups of coconut milk (about 3 cans)
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (or more) spiced rum or brandy (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- ¼ cup honey or cane sugar or a few drops of stevia extract (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- How To Make (Easy Version)
- Put all ingredients except alcohol in Vitamix or high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- SLOWLY bring up to low heat in a medium saucepan, being careful not to let it boil. When it is warmed and barely starting to thicken, it is ready.
- Chill in fridge for a few hours or overnight and whisk alcohol in just before serving.
- How To Make (Traditional Way)
- Heat coconut milk and vanilla until warm in medium saucepan.
- Whisk or blend the egg yolks, sugar and spices in a blender.
- Slowly add in about half of the coconut mixture to the egg yolks to warm it and then add the whole mixture back into the saucepan.
- Bring up to low heat and whisk until barely starting to thicken.
- Stir in rum or brandy and serve hot or cold.
What’s your favorite holiday beverage? Do your kids get to stay up late on Christmas Eve? What is your favorite holiday tradition? Share below!!!