If you were hoping for some egg nog without the dairy and chemical additives, this recipe is a healthy alternative this Christmas season.
In fact, this can be a healthy source of beneficial fats and protein…
With the addition of Rum or Brandy, it also becomes a keep-a-smile-on-your-face-because-the-kids-get-to-stay-up-past-midnight-on-Christmas-Eve beverage.
I’ve never been a huge fan of egg nog, but I actually like this recipe. Try it! You might too!
- 6 cups of coconut milk (about 3 cans)
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (or more) spiced rum or brandy (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- ¼ cup honey or cane sugar or a few drops of stevia extract (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- How To Make (Easy Version)
- Put all ingredients except alcohol in Vitamix or high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- SLOWLY bring up to low heat in a medium saucepan, being careful not to let it boil. When it is warmed and barely starting to thicken, it is ready.
- Chill in fridge for a few hours or overnight and whisk alcohol in just before serving.
- How To Make (Traditional Way)
- Heat coconut milk and vanilla until warm in medium saucepan.
- Whisk or blend the egg yolks, sugar and spices in a blender.
- Slowly add in about half of the coconut mixture to the egg yolks to warm it and then add the whole mixture back into the saucepan.
- Bring up to low heat and whisk until barely starting to thicken.
- Stir in rum or brandy and serve hot or cold.
What’s your favorite holiday beverage? Share below!