Hopefully cold and flu won’t strike at your home this year, but this is a good remedy to have on hand in case it does.
For babies and small children especially, treatment options are limited, but congestion and coughing can really interfere with their ability to sleep well.
We used to keep regular Vicks Vapor Rub and the Baby version on hand for illnesses, until I realized that it had PETROLEUM in it.. yuck!
In the name of not consuming or slathering our skin with anything that is more beneficial to a car engine… I’ve been making this really easy homemade version ever since.
If you don’t have the ingredients or don’t want to take the time to make this recipe, mixing the essential oils with coconut oil works almost as well. All ingredients for the recipe below (including tins or lip chap containers to keep it in) are available here.
Homemade Vapor-Rub Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil
- 2 level tablespoons of beeswax pastilles
- 20 drops of Eucalyptus Oil
- 20 drops Peppermint Oil
- 10 drops Rosemary Oil
- 10 drops cinnamon or clove oil (optional)
How To Make Vapor Rub:
- Melt beeswax with oil of choice in a double boiler until just melted.
- Add the essential oils (use half the amount for a baby version or dilute with coconut oil before using)
- Stir until well mixed and pour into some type of container with a lid to store. Little tins work well, as do small jars. I also always make a few in lip chap sticks to keep in my purse or use on baby feet.
- Use as needed to help sooth coughing and congestion.
Note: Make sure to dilute for babies and children and use as little as is needed. Can also make with the herbs instead of essential oils by infusing the oil with 1 tablespoon of each of the herbs in a double boiler over medium heat for 2 hours.
What are your tried and true remedies for beating illnesses? Ever made your own? Share below!