Hopefully cold and flu won’t strike at your home this year, but in case it does, this natural vapor rub is a good remedy to have around.
For babies and small children, treatment options are limited, even though coughing and congestion can really interfere with their ability to get a good nights sleep.
I used to keep regular Vicks Vapor Rub and the baby version on hand for times when the seasonal cold would hit until I realized that it had PETROLEUM in it.. yuck!
In the name of not consuming or slathering my children’s skin with anything that is more beneficial to a car engine, I’ve been making this really easy homemade version ever since.
If you don’t have the necessary ingredients on hand or don’t want to take the time to make this recipe, mixing the essential oils with coconut oil works almost as well. All ingredients for the recipe below (including tins and lip chap containers to keep it in) are available here.
Vapor Rub Ingredients
- 1/2 cup olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil
- 2 level tablespoons of beeswax pastilles
- 20 drops of Eucalyptus Oil
- 20 drops Peppermint Oil
- 10 drops Rosemary Oil
- 10 drops cinnamon or clove oil (optional)
Vapor Rub Instructions
- Melt beeswax with oil of choice in a double boiler until just melted.
- Add the essential oils (use half the amount for a baby version or dilute with coconut oil before using)
- Stir until well mixed and pour into some type of container with a lid to store. Small tins work well, as do little jars. I also always make a few in lip chap sticks to keep in my purse or to use on baby feet.
- Use as needed to help reduce coughing and congestion.
Many essential oils, including these, are not considered safe for babies or small children. Make sure to dilute for babies and children and use as little as is needed. Always check with a doctor or healthcare provider about using herbs or essential oils on young children.
You can also make this recipe with herbs instead of essential oils by infusing the oil with 1 Tablespoon of each of the herbs in a double boiler over medium heat for 2 hours.
What are your tried and true remedies for beating illnesses? Ever made your own? Share below!