This is my latest healthy Italian dish variation. I never really liked Chicken Parmesan until I had it at a friend’s bridesmaid’s luncheon. It was the most grain free item on the menu, and it was wonderful (I later found out it was breaded in some type of potato starch and not flour!).
When I got home, I decided to try to make a truly healthy version, and thus, this recipe was born. I also created a Chicken Parmesan Fingers recipe that the kids loved, so I could make a fun meal for them and a nice dinner for my husband and I in the same night.
If you ever miss Italian foods, this is a good alternative, and even if you were never a pasta person, you might like this one.
- 2-3 lbs of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (or strips for the Chicken Fingers variation)
- ½ cup coconut flour (or almond flour)
- ⅓ cup arrowroot (option, can use more flour instead)
- seasonings: garlic powder, basil, salt, etc
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 TBSP heavy cream (optional)
- 1 jar (approx 24 ounces) of pasta sauce (check ingredients if store bought)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Tallow, Lard or Coconut Oil for frying
- Put 1-2 cups of lard, tallow or coconut oil in a large skillet or fryer and turn on medium high heat.
- If using chicken breasts, butterfly them and pound slightly with meat hammer or flat side of heavy spoon until about ½ inch thick. If using chicken strips, this is not necessary.
- Beat eggs with heavy cream (if using) in a medium sized bowl.
- On a large plate or dish, combine coconut flour, arrowroot, and spices and mix well.
- Dip the chicken into the egg mixture and then into the flour/arrowroot mixture until well coated.
- Put directly into hot oil and cook, flipping once, until both sides have browned and chicken is cooked (about 4 minutes per side on my stove).
- While chicken is cooking, heat sauce over medium heat until warmed.
- If making regular Chicken Parmesan, place chicken in large baking dish once cooked and top with pasta sauce and cheeses (if using). Heat on broil the oven until cheese is melted. For Chicken Parmesan Dippers, put the cooked chicken strips on a plate and serve with pasta sauce for dipping.
- Serve with salad with homemade dressing of choice.
What’s your favorite Italian dish? Will you try this one?