This sleep tincture recipe is another of my favorite homemade tinctures, made from some of my favorite herbs. We don’t have to use it often, but when one of the kids is sick, or we are traveling and their schedules are crazy, this natural tincture helps them sleep peacefully.
This recipe is good for adults too, if you struggle with insomnia or anxiety. It is a mildly and naturally relaxing and calming tincture that is great for sleep disturbances. All of the ingredients are available here and the minimum quantity available to order will make quarts of this tincture!
- 2 TBSP dried Yarrow flowers (relaxing and nutrient packed)
- 2 TBSP dried Catnip (naturally calming)
- 2 TBSP dried Oatstraw (also helps with bed wetting)
- 2 TBSP Chamomile flowers (calming and relaxing)
- 1 TBSP dried Mint leaves
- 1 TBSP dried Hops flowers
- 1 TBSP dried stevia leaf
- Boiling water
- 2 cups 80 proof or stronger vodka or rum
- Glass quart size canning jar with airtight lid
- Put all herbs in glass jar
- Pour boiling water to just cover the herbs and mix well
- Fill the jar the rest of the way with vodka or rum alcohol (don't use rubbing alcohol!)
- Cap with airtight lid and leave in cool, dark place for at least 2 and up to 8 weeks, shaking daily.
- After several weeks, strain the herbs out and store in small tincture bottles for use as needed.
- Normal dose is 2-3 droppers full for adults and 1 dropper full for kids over two.
I order all the ingredients that I don’t grow in my garden from Mountain Rose Herbs, which is the best source I”ve found, but you may be able to find some of these locally. Start with a very small dose, especially in children, as it typically works very well, even at low-doses.
Ever have trouble sleeping? What’s your remedy?