I’d been wanting Sushi for a while, but hadn’t yet found a way to get it without rice. As I’ve found with many things, if you want a healthy option, you have to make it yourself… so I did.
If I’d known it was this easy to make Sushi, I would have done it long ago. It is also much cheaper than buying it pre-made! Since I’m pregnant, I made it with meat and cooked fish, but any protein could work!
- 5 sheets of Sushi Seaweed (That is what it was called on the package I bought. I found it in my regular grocery store in the deli section)
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise
- cream cheese
- protein of choice (fish, meat,etc)
- Put a piece of Sushi Seaweed on a piece of waxed paper (or sushi mat, if you have one).
- Carefully spread cream cheese along one end. This will be the outside end that you close when you roll it. The cream cheese helps it stick.
- Spread guacamole in the center of the seaweed.
- Place pieces of cucumber and carrot at the opposite end of the seaweed as the cream cheese. You want to make sure everything runs lengthwise.
- Add protein of choice in thin layer between veggies and cream cheese.
- Starting at the end with the veggies, carefully roll the waxed paper to begin rolling the sushi seaweed. This took a little trial and error, but you have to roll it and remove the waxed paper as you go. When you finish, you should have about a 1.5 inch diameter roll.
- Repeat the process with the other sheets of seaweed.
- Place all rolls together and slice into 1 inch pieces. Keeping them together helps protect the seaweed from breaking when cutting.
- Serve fresh! Yum!