Asian 5-spice is a blend of five spices (of course) and often salt. It is great for seasoning fatty cuts of meat like pork or duck but is also great on seafood. It is one of the core spices that I pre-make and always keep on hand.
The core five spices that are usually used are Anise, Black Pepper, Fennel, Cinnamon and Cloves, though sometimes turmeric and citrus.
I often use this spice on stir frys and roasted meats or vegetables and I especially like it with fresh orange juice, lemon juice and honey. (Not sure if this a traditional use, but it is delicious).
Some other great ways to use this spice blend:
- Sprinkled on sweet potato fries for a delicious variation
- In chicken soup to change up the flavors
- On vegetable noodles, sautéed in a pan with coconut oil and tossed with cooked chicken or shrimp for a full meal
- On roasted chicken – aromatic and flavorful
- To spice up cashew chicken lettuce wraps
- On beef and broccoli stir fry
If this isn’t your type of spice, check out my other 13 homemade herb and spice blend recipes for one you’ll like! I bought the ingredients for this and all of my other homemade spice blends at Mountain Rose Herbs in bulk to save money.
- 2 tablespoons Anise Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground Fennel
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan or sea salt
- Mix all ingredients and store in airtight container. Great for recipes like Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry and other Asian themed cuisine.