I’ll admit, I used to eat rice all the time. Even these days, if I’m going to eat a grain, it is going to be rice (usually in sushi).
Rice isn’t a regular food for us though, so I was looking for some healthier substitutes that would include more veggies, and this is one of the solutions I found.
This recipe combines the flavors of regular vegetable fried rice from a restaurant with the nutrition boost of Cauliflower for a tasty and more nutritious side dish. You can even add chicken to make a full meal!
Another advantage is that without the long cook time of the rice, this recipe comes together very quickly for a quick meal on busy nights.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add half of the sesame or coconut oil.
- Finely chop the carrot and onion and add to pan.
- Saute over medium high heat until starting to soften.
- Slice zucchini (if using) and add peas (if using)
- While those are cooking, grate the cauliflower using a cheese grater or food processor.
- When vegetables are cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil and the cauliflower.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes until cauliflower is starting to soften but not mushy.
- Make a hole in the center of the mixture to reach the bottom of the pan and crack the eggs in to the hole.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the coconut aminos and the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Scramble the eggs in to the mixture.
- When eggs are cooked, return vegetables to pan and stir.
- Add the remaining coconut aminos and stir until all are heated and flavors are combined.
Do you eat rice? Ever made a variation like this? Share below!