I recently re-read the book Virgin Coconut Oil written by Tropical Traditions founders Brian and Marianita and I’m glad I did. I’m already a huge fan of coconut oil, obviously… (just google “Wellness Mama Coconut Oil” and check out all the results), but this book always makes me want to go drink some coconut oil.
Virgin Coconut Oil Book Review:
I use their coconut oil for everything from cooking to skin lotion to putting in my coffee. I buy it by the five gallon bucket and I’m certainly convinced of its quality, but it was great to read about how their company was formed and all the effort they put into ensuring the most high quality coconut oil available.
Virgin Coconut Oil also cites many studies and scientific information about coconut oil and it’s many benefits:
Coconut oil is nature’s richest source of MCTs (medium chain triglycerides). Not only do MCTs raise the body’s metabolism leading to weight loss, but they have special health giving properties as well. The most predominant MCT in coconut oil, for example, is Lauric acid. Lipid researcher Job Kabara states “Never before in the history of man is it so important to emphasize the value of Lauric Oils. The medium-chain fats in cocnout oil are similar to the fats in mother’s milk and have similar neutraceutical affects. These health effects were recognized centuries ago in Ayurvedic medicine. Modern research has now found a common link between these two natural health produces – their fat or lipid content.” Outside of human mother’s breast milk, coconut oil is nature’s most abundant source of Lauric Acid and medium chain fatty acids.
I’m already a huge fan of saturated fat, but it was great to see the reminder of all the important roles of saturated fat in the diet:
- “Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50 percent of cell membranes. They give our cells necessary firmness and integrity.” (as in avoiding wrinkles and getting rid of cellulite!)
- “They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For example, at least 50 percent of our dietary fats need to be saturated for calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal system.”
- “They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates a proneness to heart disease.”
- “They protect the liver from the toxic effects of alcohol and certain drugs.”
- “They enhance the immune system.”
- “They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats.”
- “Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart is highly saturated. The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.”
- “short and medium chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties.”
Virgin Coconut Oil also details the various ways that coconut oil is supportive:
- Digestive health
- Brain Health
- Weight Loss
- Thyroid Health
- Skin health
- Energy levels
While some would worry about gaining weight from adding saturated fat to their diets, the book reminds: “Scientific studies have reported that the fatty acids from MCTS in coconut oil are not easily converted into stored triglycerides, and that MCTs can not readily be used by the body to make larger fat molecules.”
If you are on the fence about Coconut Oil’s health benefits or if you haven’t already, I’d definitely recommend reading Virgin Coconut Oil.
If you’ve never ordered from Tropical Traditions before, they will send you a FREE copy of Virgin Coconut Oil with your first order of any size if you order through this link.
Have you read Virgin Coconut Oil? What’s your favorite thing about coconut oil? Share below!