I’d been wanting sushi for a while, but hadn’t yet found a way to get it without rice. As I’ve found with many things, if you want a healthy option, you have to make it yourself … so I did.
If I’d known it was this easy to make sushi, I would have done it long ago! It is also much cheaper than buying it pre-made. Since I was pregnant at the time, I made it with meat and cooked fish, but any protein could work.
Seaweed is part of a healthy diet in many cultures around the world and is an excellent source of micronutrients including folate, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, selenium, and iodine.
Rice Free Sushi Recipe
- Put a piece of nori on a piece of waxed paper or sushi mat, if you have one.
- Carefully spread cream cheese along one end. This will be the outside end that you close when you roll it. The cream cheese helps it stick.
- Spread guacamole in the center of the seaweed.
- Place pieces of cucumber and carrot at the opposite end of the seaweed as the cream cheese. You want to make sure everything runs lengthwise.
- Add protein of choice in thin layer between veggies and cream cheese.
- Starting at the end with the veggies, carefully roll the waxed paper to begin rolling the sushi seaweed. This took a little trial and error, but you have to roll it and remove the waxed paper as you go. When you finish, you should have about a 1.5 inch diameter roll.
- Repeat the process with the other sheets of seaweed.
- Place all rolls together and slice into 1 inch pieces. Keeping them together helps protect the seaweed from breaking when cutting.
- Serve fresh! Yum!
Ever made sushi? Perhaps you have a better recipe? Tell me below!