This recipe was born when I wanted to find a way to use my lemon and lime peels from my chicken picatta recipe and other recipes so they wouldn’t go to waste.
I used them in cleaning products some of the time, but I also figured out a way to dry/dehydrate them for food use. I had been using lemon zest or lime zest and salt and pepper on quite a few recipes when I realized I should just pre-mix them and have them ready to go.
Lemon pepper seems to be a polarizing spice, so if it isn’t your thing, check out my other herb and spice blends here.
I didn’t think I liked lemon pepper, until pregnancy cravings made me obsessed with it and the obsession never went away. Perfect on everything, in my opinion, but I like to use this lemon pepper on recipes like these:
- Chicken Picatta
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Italian Lemon Herb Chicken
- In breakfast stir frys and eggs
- In Crock-Pot chicken recipes
Here’s what I did:
Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning Recipe
- zest from 4-6 organic lemons OR ½ cup dried lemon zest
- 6 TBSP ground black pepper OR whole peppercorns if you are using fresh lemon
- 5 TBSP Himalayan salt or sea salt
- If using fresh lemon zest, thoroughly zest the lemons and spread the fresh lemon out on a baking sheet.
- Put into the oven on the lowest setting and leave until completely dried. Mine took about 70 minutes.
- When completely dried, mix with the peppercorns and salt in a food processor until well mixed. If making with pre-dried lemon peel, just mix all ingredients in a food processor until blended.
- Store in a tightly sealed jar in the cupboard.
Do you make any of your own seasonings?
Discussion (1 Comments)
Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning is the best food for the pregnancy. we want more recipes that help for the pregnancy.