One of the things on my summer bucket list each year is to grill outside. It’s fun, delicious, and gives me a break from the hot kitchen! This grilled citrus chicken recipe is a great addition to the grilling repertoire. It’s easy to make and packed with flavor that the whole family loves.
Why Sweet and Savory?
The combination of sweet citrus and honey with the savory flavors of herbs and spices give this dish the classic combination that everyone loves. It turns out there is a scientific reason for this! According to a Delish article, researchers have discovered that salt enhances the absorption of the sugar in a food, making the combination of biological benefit to the body.
Chefs also find that flavor layering (which is what you do when you add more than one flavor to a dish) is a great way to make the meal more satisfying.
Tips for Marinating Chicken
Some people have a concern about whether grilling food is safe. But there are many things you can do to reduce or eliminate any risk, including marinating your food! Here are some tips for great marinating:
- Marinate chicken in the refrigerator.
- Flip or stir meat at least once while marinating.
- Never use marinade that has had raw meat in it. If you want to save some as a dipping sauce separate it before adding the meat to marinade. You can also bring marinade to a boil to kill any bacteria.
- Add chicken and marinade to a non-reactive container. Stay away from metal and use glass instead (plastic will also work).
- To avoid flare-ups on the grill, allow the marinade to drip off the chicken before cooking.
A great marinade has a combination of an acid and a fat plus the herbs and spices you choose. The fat helps flavors absorb into the meat and the acid helps tenderize and flavor the meat. If you want to adapt this recipe, just remember that the acids (citrus) and fats (olive oil) are important! Marinating chicken is an easy way to add lots of flavor and make a dish really pop.
Want More? Try These Grilling Recipes
Grilling is a staple of summer meals. Whether it’s too hot to cook inside, or you’re feeding a crowd, grilling is fun and functional! Here are some recipes to get you started:
- Grilled Chicken Pineapple Kebab – Kebabs are a fun food for all ages and an easy way to feed a crowd.
- Honey & Spice Grilled Pork Loin – This flavorful pork tenderloin is a great choice for an easy meal for the whole family.
- Grilled Thai Shrimp – With garlic, orange, lime, honey, and a touch of sriracha, this flavorful recipe is one of my families favorites.
- Smokey Lime Grilled Chicken – Another way to use limes for a fresh, summery meal.
- Grilled Yellow Squash Recipe – This recipe is simple and easy to make (with lots of flavor!).
- Seasonal Grilled Veggies – When summer produce is ready to be picked (or grabbed at the farmer’s market) this is a great way to cook and serve it.
- Grilled Short Ribs – A recipe for a crowd that is quick, easy, and delicious.
- Grilled Indian Tandoori Chicken – A delightfully smoky and flavorful favorite when we’re craving Indian food!
Add a garden salad and you have a delicious meal that doesn’t heat up the house.
Grilled Citrus Chicken Recipe (Sweet and Savory)
What is your favorite way to grill chicken?