This is my latest healthy Italian dish variation. I never really liked chicken Parmesan until I had it at a friend’s bridesmaids luncheon. It was the most grain free item on the menu, and it was wonderful (I later found out it was breaded in some type of potato starch and not flour!).
When I got home, I decided to try to make a truly healthy version and this recipe was born. I also created a chicken Parmesan nuggets recipe that the kids loved, so I could make a fun meal for them and a nice dinner for my husband and I in the same night.
If you ever miss Italian foods, this is a good alternative, and even if you were never a pasta person, you might like this one. On the other hand, if you WERE a pasta person, this dish is great served over spaghetti squash “pasta” or zucchini “noodles”
No-Grain Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 1½ cups tallow (or lard or coconut oil, for frying)
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 4 eggs
- 1 TBSP heavy cream (optional)
- ½ cup coconut flour or almond flour
- ⅓ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (shredded, optional)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded, optional)
- Put preferred fat for frying in a large skillet or fryer and turn on medium high heat.
- Butterfly chicken breasts and pound them slightly with meat hammer or flat side of heavy spoon until they are about ½ inch thick.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the heavy cream, if using.
- On a large plate or dish, combine the coconut flour, arrowroot, and spices and mix well.
- Dip the flattened chicken pieces into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture until well coated.
- Put directly into the hot oil and cook, flipping once, until both sides have browned and chicken is cooked (about 4 minutes per side on my stove).
- While the chicken is cooking, heat the sauce in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed.
- Place the cooked chicken in large baking dish and top with pasta sauce and cheeses if using.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Serve over spaghetti squash or zucchini "noodles".
This recipe can also be modified to make delicious eggplant Parmesan too!
What’s your favorite Italian dish? Ever tried to make a grain-free version?
Discussion (19 Comments)
Mmmmm yum! I’ve had this before with cauliflower rice (blended cauliflower until consistency of rice, then lightly pan fried) and a hearty tomato based sauce to bring it all together. Thanks for the recipe, will be trying it tonight 🙂
Making these right now and my husband ate one and asked “why are they so good?”
Im wondering if I could just use the arrowroot for mongolian beef recipe I have in place of the cornstarch.
Made this today and omg! So delicious! ! Thank you for sharing.
This recipe was astoundingly good, especially without the grain! So glad that there’s one less meal I have to go without on the wellness challenge! Absolutely delicious, and very satisfying!
I was thinking of doing the strips version for dinner, I just may serve them with fresh cut sweet potato fries. As a play on chicken strips and fries.
what would you recommend as a side? I really wanted to eat this tonight but I couldnt think of what to replace the pasta with. 🙁 I’m not that imaginative in the kitchen.
I use Spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta when I make chicken parm and it is perfect!
Spaghetti squash is okay, but I prefer making zucchini noodles, lightly sauted .
I can’t wait to try this one! ;D
I used this to make oven fried chicken with some thigh pieces. Just coated the chicken, put in buttered dish on 350, flipped after about 15 min for another 15 min. Delicious!!!! 🙂
Made this tonight for dinner, it was excellent!
Thanks for the recipe. Quick, healthy, and tasting. That’s what I love.