I have admired the work of today’s guest for years and I can’t wait to share him with you. His name is Tero Isokauppila and he’s leading a worldwide mushroom movement.
You might have heard of Tero since I talk all the time about his company Four Sigmatic and how I love their amazing mushroom coffee and teas. If you’ve ever wondered what this mushroom coffee business is all about and why someone might combine the two, you’ll want to check out this episode!
Tero Isokauppila on Superfood Mushrooms
Foraging and growing local foods is a passion that goes back generations in Tero’s family, which is pretty cool. He is a 13th-generation farmer from Finland, where they do things a little bit differently. I’ve long been a fan of their approach to education and now I’m excited to learn why mushrooms are such a valued part of their food supply.
Tero and I nerd out on the science behind mushrooms, why they’re not really vegetables, different types to try, and why mushrooms in general have incredible health benefits. For example, did you know our DNA is up to 50% the same as mushrooms? Or that Chaga mushrooms contain more antioxidants than 30 pounds of carrots?
I didn’t until I read Tero’s bestselling book Healing Mushrooms (linked below). I’m honored to know him now and learn from him personally since he’s making a real difference in the natural food space.
Soon you’ll be hooked on mushroom coffee like I am… for all the right reasons!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- all about the many kinds of fungi (including some you may not know about)
- how medicinal mushrooms differ from culinary mushrooms
- the best mushrooms for health: Cordyceps, Chaga, Reishi, and more
- how mushrooms can give you energy without caffeine or stimulants
- why people with certain conditions might want to avoid some mushrooms
- an easy way to tell if a mushroom is or isn’t safe to eat
- why the best-selling pharmaceuticals in the world all use fungi
- how to use mushrooms as a natural source of vitamin D
- a sidebar (because I love this topic!) on education in Finland vs. the US
- and more!
Resources We Mention
- Four Sigmatic (we love all their coffees and their hot chocolate or golden chai latte too!)
- Healing Mushrooms: A Practical and Culinary Guide to Using Mushrooms for Whole Body Health
Other Topics We Mention
- Astaxanthin: Why I Take It Daily (Especially In Summer!)
- Why I Eat My Sunscreen to Protect Skin From the Inside Out
- Infrared Sauna Benefits (& the Risks)
- 9 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
What do you think, does mushroom coffee make a little more sense now? What other questions do you have? Pass them on in a comment below or in a review on iTunes. I read each and every comment, and my guests often do too and might answer your questions!
Thanks So Much to Today’s Sponsors!
This podcast is brought to you by Dry Farm Wines. This is the only wine I drink anymore. After researching and finding that many other wines contain added sugar, dyes (like ultra vita-mega purple), unsavory additives to improve taste and mouth feel (sawdust, egg whites, or fish parts, anyone?) as well as filtering agents, I needed a way to save my favorite drink! Dry Farms tests all of their wines for purity and they also only use non-irrigated grapes. Why is this important? Dry farmed grapes don’t get as big or as sweet, yielding higher nutrient and lower alcohol wines naturally. And they are all sourced from small family dry farm vineyards all over the world. I absolutely love their wines and I find them to be less expensive than other high-quality wines. Wellness Mama listeners can get an extra bottle of wine for a penny at wellnessmama.com/go/wine.
This podcast is brought to you by Paleovalley. They make grass-fed beef and now pastured turkey sticks that are high in protein and nutrients and also a good source of probiotics because they’re naturally fermented. Their products are absolutely delicious and individually packaged for on-the-go (no refrigeration needed!). We bring these along whenever we travel and our kids love them. Wellness Mama listeners can get 20% off of any order at wellnessmama.com/go/paleovalley.