Today we take a bit of detour from the usual topics to one that is deeply personal and probably not talked about enough. We’re discussing sex, libido, and intimacy, all rolled into one… and I think we all know this can be an interesting area to navigate post-motherhood!
If you don’t already know about my guest Susan Bratton, she has been called the “Dear Abby” of sex for her honest and fresh ideas about how to ignite passion and sexual fulfillment in relationships. We talk about why romance seems to die at a certain point, what you can do to revive it, why women and men are so different, and how women can learn to be more in touch with their bodies and even heal obstacles to intimacy. We also talk about how to give kids the best start when it’s time to start laying the foundation for understanding their own sexuality.
Susan is an amazing speaker and writer as well who has authored over 20 books, some of which I’ve linked to below. I appreciate Susan for her willingness to talk openly about such an important topic… that affects pretty much all of us!
Episode Highlights With Susan Bratton
- Why sex drive has natural peaks and valleys, and how to know what’s “normal”
- A key factor of low sex drive many people don’t suspect
- How to become your own sexual health advocate when working with doctors
- Ways to identify emotional obstacles to intimacy
- The pros and cons of hormone replacement therapy, bio-identical hormones
- Tips for becoming a confident, happy lover
- Dealing with chronic pain or illness in the sexual realm
- How to talk to your kids about sex in a healthy way (and without scarring them for life!
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Sexual Soulmates: 6 Essentials for Connected Sex
- Relationship Magic
- Women’s Anatomy of Arousal
More From Wellness Mama
- 168: A Proactive Approach to Aging and Sexual Health and Wellness With HealthWellnessMD
- 109: Vaginal Health, Menopause, and Hormone Therapy With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- 235: Signs of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction & How to Stop Pelvic Pain Naturally With Isa Herrera
- 234: The Keto-Green Way to Optimize Hormones & Libido With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- Natural Ways to Improve Libido & Sex Drive in Women
- Symptoms of Vaginal Atrophy (& Natural Ways to Protect Vaginal Health)
What did you think of Susan’s advice? Do you have anything to add? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by SteadyMD, my family’s source for concierge medicine and our primary care doctors. Once something only available to the ultra wealthy, concierge medicine is now available to all of us thanks to SteadyMD. This means my family is connected with a highly qualified MD certified in functional medicine and who knows our medical history, the supplements we take, our preferences for medical treatments and who is available anytime we need her via text, video chat, or phone call. She’s been there when I was trying to decide if I needed to take a kid in for stitches or a sore throat, she’s looked at my kids ears remotely via digital otoscope that I connect to my phone and she manages and advises based on regular labs. I’ve always said that your doctor should be your partner in managing your health and should listen and take into account your symptoms, feelings and preferences and with SteadyMD, that absolutely happens. I feel supported, heard and confident knowing that I have one of the top doctors in the country available when I need her. With her help and thanks to diet and lifestyle changes in the past few years, I’ve been able to confirm that I no longer have any of the symptoms or lab markers of Hashimotos and am completely in remission! I truly can’t speak highly enough about SteadyMD and hope you’ll check them out. Head to steadyMD.com/wellnessmama to learn more and to take a quick quiz to see which doctor you match with.
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic, creator of all things superfood mushrooms and founded by my favorite Finnish Fun guys. I love all of their products, and in fact, I’m sipping their Reishi hot cocoa as I record this. These superfood mushrooms are always a part of my daily routine with their coffee + lions mane or coffee + cordyceps in the morning for energy and focus without as much caffeine as coffee to their chaga and cordyceps in the afternoon for antioxidants and immunity and the Reishi elixir at night for improved sleep. They also just released skin care that so clean you not only can eat it…. But it’s encouraged. Their charcoal mask has activated charcoal to clarify, chaga and cacao for an antioxidant boost and other herbal and superfood ingredients. It’s so clean that it can literally be made into a cup of hot cocoa as well! Their superfood serum contains a blend of avocado and olive oils with Reishi and herbs for a hydrating skin boost. As a listener of this podcast, you can save 15% with the code WELLNESSMAMA at https://foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama/