I’m so pumped about today’s episode! I found the amazing Dr. Libby Darnell through my own research into the best ways to start reducing EMFs in our home. Dr. Libby is a Functional Medicine Practitioner and Doctor of Chiropractic who found out firsthand just what a bad effect EMFs (electromagnetic frequencies) can have on our bodies.
In response, Dr. Libby created Revived Living, a health and lifestyle coaching company with customized programs to help people get their health and happiness back. A cornerstone of Dr. Libby’s programs is reducing EMFs and the long-term cellular damage they cause.
Reducing EMFs in Our Homes: The Why and the How
So, where to start? How can we limit EMFs and still live in the “real” world?
Thankfully, there are smart, realistic ways to start reducing EMF exposure … without pitching our cell phones.
Dr. Libby says reducing EMFs where we can control it most — in our homes — is the place to start. I’m grateful for her expertise and dying to ask some questions, so let’s jump right in!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- the surprising personal reason Dr. Libby became an EMF expert
- how electromagnetic frequencies work (and why we might want to think about reducing them)
- why the U.S. energy grid discharges “dirty” electricity … right into your home
- symptoms that might mean you are sensitive to EMFs (hint: poor sleep is one of them)
- how EMFs affect our bodies on an everyday basis (whether we feel them or not)
- the biggest contributor of EMFs to the average American home (this one really surprised me!)
- the way our appliances may be harming our health
- one major reason to not have electronic gaming systems in your house
- a big reason to avoid fluorescent and CFL lights
- why dimmer switches affect more than just the ambiance
- tips on which EMF filtering products are worth it … and which aren’t
- how to test and filter your home outlets (with an easy to use $100 tool)
- one small change a plumber can make for reducing EMFs
- what your shoe sole has to do with EMFs
- how to tell if you have a smart meter, and steps to take if you do
- and more!
Update: Following the podcast, Dr. Libby confirmed that halogen lights are 100% “clean.” I also checked with Dave Asprey (of Bulletproof.com) and he uses incandescent halogen lights without reservation. Good to know there’s another option.
How to Get Started Reducing EMFs Right Now!
According to Dr. Libby, the best 3 things you can do today to start reducing EMFs are:
- Change out your lightbulbs – Replace fluorescent or CFL bulbs with incandescent or halogen light bulbs.
- Get your WiFi on a timer – Buy a simple timer outlet to turn WiFi off at night, cutting exposure in half.
- Brush your teeth while standing on a piece of tinfoil – Yes, you read right!
Take a listen to find out why, and check out Dr. Libby’s top 10 tips for reducing EMFs below!
Resources We Mention
Follow Dr. Libby at www.RevivedLiving.com
- Dirty Electricity by Samuel Millham, MD
- Programmable outlet timer
- Stetzer meterand Stetzer filter
- Blue light blocking glasses
- 110: How Vibrational Frequencies Affect Our Daily Lives
- 73: Truth about WiFi, EMFs, and Radiation (+ How to Avoid Them)
- Is WiFi Safe?
- How to Avoid the Health Risks of Computers
- Why I Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses at Night
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic. You’ve heard me talk about Four Sigmatic before because I love their coffees, teas and hot chocolates. Now these are not ordinary drinks. They’re delicious combinations of coffee, cocoa and adaptogen herbs, now with the benefits of Chaga, Cordyceps, and Lions Mane for an extra brain boost and clean energy. My long-time favorite is their instant coffee with the benefits of these mushrooms but lately I’ve also really been enjoying their caffeine-free blends. Try out all of these delicious drinks at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and make sure to use the code wellnessmama to get 15% off of your order.
This podcast is also brought to you by Butcherbox. And if you haven’t heard of them, they’re a great company that ships really high quality meats to your door. They carry 100% grass fed beef, organic and pastured chicken, and heritage breed pork and they deliver it directly to your door. All of their products are humanly raised and free of antibiotics and hormones. And as a Wellness Mama listener, you can get $15 off plus free bacon in your first box. Go to butcherbox.com/wellnessmama and use the promo code HEALTHYMOMS (in all capital letters).