Today’s guest Jen Lumanlan is the host of the fascinating “Your Parenting Mojo” podcast, which is all about helping parents find (and fine-tune) their own unique way of raising their kids. I’ve wanted to meet Jen Lumanlan ever since I heard her story.
Jen decided to turn her self-proclaimed lack of parenting intuition into an opportunity by using her love for research to bridge the gap (hmm… sounds familiar!). She now has both a master’s degree in psychology and education and shares what she’s learned with parents everywhere.
If you’re a parent and want some new ideas based on scientific research and the principles of respectful parenting, check out the Your Parenting Mojo podcast. I’ve been listening for a while now and it’s hands-down amazing… let me know what you think!
Episode Highlights: Your Parenting Mojo
- Why anxiety disorders are on the rise in children
- Reasons kids need risks in order to be safe
- The importance of play at high speed for kids on things like bikes, sleds, etc.
- Why sharp tools are important… yes, including knives and saws!
- How kids learn from rough and tumble play
- Benefits of children “getting lost” (in a safe way) occasionally
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Playborhood: Turn Your Neighborhood into a Play to Play by Mike Lanza
- How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success by Julie Lythcott-Haims
- Your Self-Confident Baby: How to Encourage Your Child’s Natural Abilities From the Very Start by Magda Gerber and Allison Johnson
More From Wellness Mama
- 206: Your Parenting Mojo on Why We Need to Let Our Kids Take More Risks
- 176: Heather Chauvin on Letting Go of Mom Guilt, Ending Tantrums, & Mindful Discipline
- 85: How to Raise an Entrepreneur: Nurturing Risk Takers, Problem Solvers, & Change Makers
- 197: The Opposite of Being Spoiled: Raising Financially Responsible Kids With Ron Lieber
- Overprotected Childhood: How Keeping Kids Safe Is Actually Harming Them
- 9 Important Skills We Owe It to Our Kids to Teach Them
- How to Build a Treehouse for Fun & Exercise
- How to Create the Ultimate Active Backyard
What stood out to you in this episode? Do you agree with Jen’s take on good parenting practices? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Thank You to Our Podcast Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market. You probably already know just how much I love Thrive, but I want to share a few special tips to help you save money and keep your pantry stocked this time of year. First, I keep a running list of items I need to order from Thrive in the notes app on my phone. This usually includes things like coconut aminos, baking ingredients, almond butter, mayo, tuna, granola, condiments, raisins. and many other foods. Once I have a list, I place a bulk order once a month or so. This allows me to take advantage of the free shipping and also means I always have what I need on hand. Second, I always start by shopping the Thrive Market brand line. These products are as high of quality or better than name brands and are much less expensive. In fact sometimes half as much. They aren’t available anywhere else and they are now staples in our home. Just for being a Wellness Mama Podcast listener, you can get an extra 25% off your first purchase plus a free 30-day membership to try it out. Check out Thrive Market at thrivemarket.com/katie
This episode is sponsored by Genexa, a full line of cleaner and healthier medicines that are all organic and non-GMO and free of all common allergens. Their homeopathic and OTC medicines are extensively tested and use a patented system to avoid the harmful preservatives and fillers in many similar types of products. Here’s a tip… they have a homeopathic formula called Sleepology and it is amazing with kids (and the adult version is awesome too). It uses natural ingredients to promote restful sleep and it has been a lifesaver, especially when we travel or change time zones! To shop their full line of organic and non-GMO medicines, go to Genexa.com/WellnessMama and use code WELLNESS for 20% off your order.