I know I always say it, but I’m excited to share this interview with you because I get so many questions about ADHD and just learning and behavior problems in children in general. I’m honored to have a holistic child psychologist and absolute expert on this topic, Dr. Nicole Beurkens, on the show today.
If you have questions about your child’s learning, mood, and behavior challenges, including ADHD, autism, anxiety, and even brain injury, take a listen …
How to Improve ADHD & Related Behaviors Naturally
Dr. Nicole Beurkens is a unique combination of psychologist, nutritionist, and special education teacher. (Not to mention a mom to four!) For over 20 years she’s supported children and families in finding ways to improve behavioral problems naturally. She has a doctorate in clinical psychology, a master’s degree in special education and nutrition, and is a board-certified nutrition specialist.
As parents we are all always searching for answers on how to help our children be happy and healthy. It’s my hope this episode helps some answers come to light for any moms out there wondering what to do next.
Turning it over to Dr. Nicole!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- the combination of factors increasing ADD, ADHD, autism, anxiety, and learning and behavior problems in children
- why developmental issues are higher in some areas than others
- why medication is just a band-aid (and what to do instead)
- the five main areas parents can address to help with behavior problems
- the scary truth about psychiatric medication in children
- how to use nutrition to help with behavior problems
- the interesting research that shows 25-40% of kids diagnosed with ADHD actually have a sleep issue
- movement — what kids need and why (hint: brain development depends on it)
- what the parent-child relationship and peer relationships have to do with ADHD and related disorders
- ways to improve thinking, resilience, and problem-solving skills in children
- the big foods to avoid for any child with a behavioral challenge
- the surprising way that water intake is tied to behavior issues
- how zinc can help kids learn to love new foods
- the benefits of outdoor time for kids and why this needs to be a priority
Resources We Mention
Follow Dr. Nicole Beurkens at DrBeurkens.com
- Life Will Get Better: Simple Solutions for Parents of Children with Attention, Anxiety, Mood and Behavior Challenges by Dr. Nicole Beurkens
- Horizons Developmental Resource Center
- Dr. Nicole’s Better Behavior Naturally Parent Program
- Kids’ vitamins
Related Episodes & Articles
- 451: Dr. Roseann on How to Develop Resilience and Support Kids With ADHD, OCD, LD, or PANS/PANDAS Kids
- Kids’ Multivitamin Tincture Recipe
- 12 Easy Recipes Kids Can Cook
- Kids Cook Real Food (e-course)
- Food Rules to Cure Picky Eating
- Water Filter Options
- Supplements for Children
- How to Manipulate Blue Light to Improve Health
- Why My Kids Don’t Have a Nightlight
- Can a Weighted Blanket Transform Your Kid’s Sleep?
- Tart Cherry Sleep Gummies Recipe
- Ecotherapy: The Health Benefits of Nature
Do you have a child who struggles with ADHD or anxiety? What has helped?
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please spread the word or leave a review the podcast on iTunes. This helps more moms find the podcast and keep the conversation going. I read each and every comment, and my guests often do too and might answer your questions!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic. If you’re a coffee love like me Four Sigmatic is a must! Their coffees, teas, and hot chocolates are delicious combinations of coffee, cocoa, and adaptogen herbs, now with the benefits of Chaga, Cordyceps, and Lion’s Mane mushrooms for an extra brain boost and clean energy. (Yep, mushrooms!) All their blends taste amazing and they have caffeine-free one too. Try out all of these delicious drinks at FourSigmatic.com/WellnessMama and make sure to use the code WELLNESS MAMA to get 15% off of your order.
This podcast is also brought to you by ButcherBox. It’s pretty tough to find quality meat these days, so we use ButcherBox to make it easier. If you haven’t heard of them, they’re a great company that carries 100% grass fed beef, organic pastured chicken, and heritage breed pork and they deliver it directly to your door. All of their products are humanly raised and free of antibiotics and hormones. And as a Wellness Mama listener, you can get $15 off plus free bacon in your first box! To get this deal go to ButcherBox.com/wellnessmama and use the promo code HEALTHYMOMS (in all capital letters).