Ok, I’ll just come out and say it… this podcast episode is one of my all-time favorites! Jim Kwik is a widely recognized expert in speed reading, brain health, memory improvement, and accelerated learning. He’s also a good friend and someone I really admire in every way.
As with many of my guests, there’s more to his story. Jim overcame a traumatic brain injury in childhood by creating strategies to dramatically enhance his mental performance.
Two decades later, he works as a brain coach with people all over the world. His goal is to help everyone unleash their true genius and live a life of greater power, productivity, and purpose.
Episode Highlights With Jim Kwik
- why almost everything we think we know about learning is wrong
- how Jim went from not being able to finish a book to teaching the best in the world
- challenges our kids will face as jobs move toward artificial intelligence, automation, and outsourcing
- meta-learning and other powerful strategies to learn anything much faster
- the vast difference between what to learn and how to learn
- why intelligence isn’t fixed and how to cater to your own unique strengths
- how to abolish the belief that you don’t have a good memory, forever
- the three superpowers to encourage with kids: creativity, imagination, strategy
- how to bring imagination and creativity back into education
- what emotion has to do with memory
- the reason children can learn anything faster (it has to do with play!)
- the trick to getting information into your long-term memory
- why only one-third of your brain is determined by genetics (and how to influence the other two-thirds)
- how much of learning happens in sleep (another reason why sleep is so dramatically important for brain health)
- 10 things Jim would recommend for parents to help kids love to learn
- an important reason not to call your kid gifted
- how to reward work ethic and grit in children instead of just achievement
Resources We Mention
- Go to JimKwik.com and for his free 3-Day Brain Training and more
- The Kwik Brain Podcast
- Video: Jim Kwik and Simon Sinek on Social Media and Smartphones
Jim Kwik’s Favorite Books
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel Amen
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Ageless Body, Timeless Mind by Deepak Chopra
- The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
- How to Win Friends & Influence People in the Digital Age by Dale Carnegie
- The Charge: Activating the 10 Human Drives That Make You Feel Alive by Brendan Burchard
- The Motivation Manifesto by Brendan Burchard
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
More From Wellness Mama
- 456: Rian Doris on Harnessing Flow States for Accelerated Learning and Peak Performance
- 89: Why Sleep Is More Important Than Diet and Exercise Combined With Shawn Stevenson
- 101: Critical Thinking in a Social Media World (What You Didn’t Learn in History Class)
- 179: Understanding DNA Damage & How to Reverse It With NanoVi
- Natural Ways to Get Better Sleep (Even If You’re a Mom!)
- How Your Phone Is Changing Your Brain
- Why I Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses (at Night)
- Lessons to Learn From Children
- 6 Favorite Practical Homeschool Resources (My Kids Love)
Quotables From Jim Kwik
The same level of thinking that created your problem won’t solve it.
If knowledge is power, learning is our superpower.
With kids, it isn’t how smart they are… but how are they smart?
Knowledge is what is, and imagination is what can be.
If people realized how powerful their brains are, they would never say anythign to themselves that they don’t want to be true.
If an egg is broken by an outside force, life ends. If it is broken from an inside force, life begins.
Genius is learned.
Do you struggle with memory or reading? What techniques have helped you? I’d also appreciate it if you would please take two minutes to leave a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Many Thanks to Our Podcast Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Genexa. These are cleaner, healthier medicine and homeopathics, all organic and Non-GMO, extensively tested, and with a special patented system that lets them take out the harmful additives. One of my favorites is their saline spray and drops, these are free of parabens and fillers that are in many saline sprays. It is great for flushing away congestion and nasal symptoms from allergies and colds, and there is an infant and kid safe version. I always travel with this and use it before and after getting on an airplane to help reduce the chances of getting sick by flushing out my nasal passages. You can shop this and their entire line of organic and Non-GMO medicines by going to Genexa.com/Wellnessmama and use code WELLNESS for 20% off your order!
This episode is sponsored by Thrive Market, a company I have known and loved since their very beginning. Thrive was founded with the mission of making real food available and affordable to everyone in the US and ending food desserts, or areas like the one I used to live in where organic food was difficult or impossible to find locally at times. Here’s a tip. Check out the Thrive Market line of products. They have really high quality products at a lower price than most other brands. For instance, I order their canned sardines by the case as they are the cheapest and best option I found. They’re a great protein source and I use these in things like sardine and tuna salad or I just eat them alone with some mustard. I also turn to their products for bulk items like gluten free flours, baking ingredients, nuts, raisins, and pretty much all of my other pantry staples. Just for being a Wellness Mama podcast listener, you can get 25% off your first purchase at Thrive, plus a 30-day free membership by going to thrivemarket.com/Katie.