My long health struggle with an underactive thyroid (finally diagnosed as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis) makes me especially value my guest today, Dr. Izabella Wentz. An internationally acclaimed thyroid specialist and licensed pharmacist, she has dedicated her career to addressing the root causes of autoimmune thyroid disease.
What makes her so passionate on the topic? Like me, her own diagnosis with Hashimoto’s.
Dr. Izabella Wentz: Your Thyroid’s Best Friend
Dr. Izabella first caught my attention in 2013 with her New York Times best-selling patient guide Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause. It contained truly life-changing information about a condition that’s all too frequently misunderstood.
Now she has released an even more targeted 90-day plan to heal the thyroid called The Hashimoto’s Protocol to help thyroid sufferers pinpoint and heal a hypoactive (underactive) thyroid … and often in only 2 weeks!
And thank goodness, because with about 27% of our general population today struggling with Hashimoto’s antibodies (and the majority of them women), we need specialists like her.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn
- why the rates of thyroid problems are increasing, especially among women
- how gut health and thyroid health are often closely linked, and why
- the strange connection between feeling “safe” and avoiding thyroid disease
- which nutrient deficiencies pave the way for thyroid disease, and how to correct them
- why the thyroid medications you’re taking may not have improved your condition
- how less exercise might be the answer to underactive thyroid (yay!)
- reasons why low-carb, Paleo, or Ketogenic diets might not be the diet for someone with thyroid issues
- the anabolic vs. catabolic processes of the body and how they affect the thyroid
- Dr. Izabella’s 2-week prescription for jumpstarting thyroid health
What to Do If You Suspect a Thyroid Problem
Unfortunately, it isn’t always easy to get a straightforward answer when it comes to thyroid disease. If you struggle with most of the following symptoms, thyroid disease might be affecting you:
- chronic pain
- hair loss
- IBS/impaired digestion
- food allergies
- brain fog
- chronic cough
- weight management
- dry skin
I know all too well the health toll of these symptoms and the struggle to put together the pieces of the puzzle. (My blood tests didn’t even show that I had thyroid disease!) I felt like I was going crazy because I knew things were not normal but doctors continued to tell me I was fine.
When I finally was correctly diagnosed, I learned that Hashimoto’s is more than just an underactive thyroid. It is actually an autoimmune disorder that calls for a multi-targeted treatment of medication, diet, and lifestyle changes that isn’t always easy to figure out.
The Izabella Wentz 2-Week Prescription for Thyroid Health
Here are just some of the helpful suggestions Dr. Izabella makes in the podcast for anyone who suspects a problem with hypoactive thyroid. Take a listen to hear them all!
- Purge home of antibacterial soaps, conventional makeup, and toxic beauty products
- Install a fluoride filter (fluoride suppresses the thyroid)
- Add turmeric, green juices, cilantro, milk thistle and healthy liver-supporting foods to diet
- Limit common food sensitivities: gluten, dairy, and soy
- Supplement selenium, D and B vitamins, ferritin, thiamine, and magnesium citrate
- Drink hot lemon water or water with apple cider vinegar to stimulate stomach acid
- Get more rest and adequate sleep
- Add a quality probiotic to feed good bacteria and encourage gut health
- Avoid strenuous exercise
- Add yoga and restful activities to your routine
In addition to these general “quick fix” steps, The Hashimoto’s Protocol goes deeper with a detailed 2-week liver detox plan, a 4-week adrenal detox plan, and a 6-week gut protocol.
Check out the resources below to find out more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Izabella Wentz, The Hashimoto’s Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back (2017)
- Dr. Izabella Wentz, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause (2013)
- Thyroid Doctor Database
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Paleo Valley. This company makes one of my favorite portable snacks to give to my kids. Paleo Valley’s beef sticks not only are made from 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, but each stick is naturally fermented the old school way. Each beef stick contains a billion CFUs of probiotics plus high levels of omega-3s. If you go to paleovalley.com/wellnessmama and use the discount code WELLNESSMAMA10 to get 10% off, or you could actually get up to 40% off through their bulk discounts, which is how I order.
Paleo Valley products are gut-friendly, paleo-friendly, gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free. These cows are never given antibiotics, hormones, or grains. So, again, check it out paleovalley.com/wellnessmama, with the code WELLNESSMAMA10 to get the discount.
Today’s podcast is also brought to you by StudioPress sites. This is an all-in-one platform that makes setting up and running a blog super easy. It includes hosting, themes, plugins and much more. Basically it’s an all in one solution, all for one monthly price without all the headaches that come with trying to learn it all yourself. I wish I had this tool when I started blogging. Even if you have an existing blog, it may save you time and money and be an upgrade from what you currently have. So check it out at wellnessmama.com/studiopress.