It is no secret that autoimmune disease is on the rise, and many of us may have it and not even know. Today I talk to Dr. Guillermo Ruiz, a graduate medical student from the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine about why we’re seeing such an increase and what to do about it.
Dr. Ruiz currently practices at Integrative Health in Scottsdale Arizona where he specializes in endocrinology. (Fun fact: His mentor is the doctor who finally diagnosed and helped me with my thyroid condition, Dr. Alan Christianson.) If you have an autoimmune imbalance or suspect you do, I highly recommend you check out Dr. Ruiz’s blog and podcast (see links below).
Episode Highlights With Dr. Guillermo Ruiz
- What autoimmune disease is (& warning signs to look for)
- The 3 big causes of autoimmune disease
- What inflammation has to do with it
- Major misunderstandings about how to treat autoimmunity
- Why we should cycle supplements
- The truth about remission: can autoimmune disease ever really go away?
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Autoimmune Strong (autoimmune-specific exercise program)
- Organifi Greens Powder
- Ojai Energetics
- MagSRT (magnesium supplement)
- Just Thrive (probiotic supplement)
- Podcast 142: Is Adrenal Fatigue Real or Just Bad Science? With Ari Whitten
- The Energy Blueprint Podcast with Ari Whitten
- Dr. Alan Christianson
Bohttps://drchristianson.com/oks Dr. Guillermo Recommends
- On the Road by Jack Karouac
- The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
- The Metabolism Reset Diet: Repair Your Liver, Stop Storing Fat, and Lose Weight Naturally by Dr. Alan Christianson
More From Wellness Mama
- 182: Why You Need to Exercise Differently If You Have Autoimmune Disease (& How) With Autoimmune Strong
- 74: Dr. Izabella Wentz on Improving Hashimoto’s in As Little As Two Weeks
- 115: Decoding Autoimmune Disease with Dr. Tom O’Bryan
- 18: Thyroid Health & Autoimmune Disease
- My 30-Day Reset Autoimmune Diet Plan
- How to Know If You Have Hashimoto’s Disease (& What to Do)
- Lab Tests You Can Order From Home (Without A Doctor)
Do you have more questions about autoimmune disease? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Desert Farms Camel Milk. Never heard of camel milk? I hadn’t either until I stumbled across some studies about its unique properties and decided to try this as an alternative to regular dairy for my baby at the time. See, camel milk has some unique properties that make it easier to tolerate even for those who don’t do well with traditional dairy and some evidence suggests it may help support the immune system. Desert Farms is the highest quality camel milk source I’ve found and I love that they really love and take care of their camels… in fact, I even had a chance to meet the founder and a couple of the camels! Right now, they’re offering Wellness Mama listeners 4 free extra bottles for life with any subscription. Go to wellnessmama.com/go/camel-milk/ to grab the free bottles or find out more.
This episode is sponsored by Just Thrive Probiotics. I found this company a couple of months ago and was blown away by the difference in their products! Just Thrive offers two cornerstone products that are both clinically studies and highly effective. Their probiotic has been clinically studied to help with leaky gut and to survive up to 1000 times as much as other probiotics. The difference is the spore-based strains that are included which work completely differently than other types of probiotics. This probiotic is also vegan, dairy-free, histamine-free, and non-GMO, not to mention made WITHOUT soy, dairy, sugar, salt, corn, tree nuts, or gluten. Just Thrive Probiotic contains a patented strain called Bacillus Indicus HU36®, which produces antioxidants in the digestive system, where they can be best absorbed by the body. Their other product is a K2-7, and this nutrient is known as the “Activator X” super-nutrient that Weston A. Price – a dentist known primarily for his theories on the relationship between nutrition, good health, bone development and teeth – found prevalent in foods in the healthiest communities. Just Thrive is the only pharmaceutical grade, all-natural vitamin K2 supplement with published safety studies. Like the probiotic, this supplement is gluten, dairy, soy, nut and GMO free. Check out both at http://wellnessmama.com/go/probiotic/