The keto diet has been sweeping the health world for quite a while now, but I still get so many questions about whether this high fat, low carb diet approach is really healthy for women. Lucky for us, I’m here now with one of the top experts in the world on the topic, whose research I have followed for a very long time.
Dr. Dominic D’Agostino is a professor in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the University of South Florida and a research scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, the IHMC. He conducts research on the human metabolism and applies this science to helping neurological disorders, cancer, and military applications.
He also walks the walk when it comes to health! He broke the world record for the most weight squatted in a 24-hour period and has also deadlifted 500 pounds on day seven of a fast. So he is both academically and physically an incredible human being!
Episode Highlights With Dr. D’Agostino
- What a real keto diet is
- Things to avoid on a keto diet and how to know if you’re doing it the wrong way
- The technical definition of ketosis and why your diet might not actually be keto
- What exogenous ketones are and how to use them correctly
- Important things to know about keto diet with APOE4 genes
- The range you want to stay in to be in ketosis
- Supplements to know about in ketosis (and what to avoid)
- How to train your body to be more fat adapted
- What women need to know about a keto diet (and when to avoid it)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 234: The Keto-Green Way to Optimize Hormones & Libido With Dr. Anna Cabeca
- 201: Understanding Fasting & Keto for Women (Even During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding) + Instant Pot Tips
- 186: Carnivore Diet, Ketosis, Macros, & Diet Variation With Dr. Anthony Gustin
- 116: How to Reboot Your Metabolism Using the Keto Reset Diet With Mark Sisson
- The Benefits of Autophagy & Ketosis
- 7 Day Keto Meal Plan for Women (Ideas + Easy Recipes)
- How to Do a Ketogenic Diet (& Is It Safe for Women?)
Have you tried the keto diet? How did you feel? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic, my source for superfood mushrooms. They make delicious mushroom infused coffees, teas and elixirs that I use daily. From their lower caffeine coffee and coffee packets infused with lions mane that I drink in the morning, to chaga and cordyceps for focus while I work and Reishi to wind down at night… these products are a regular part of my routine. Here’s a tip… I’ve found that for deep sleep, a packet of reishi with a splash of macadamia milk and a tiny sprinkle of salt and a drop of stevia helps me get more deep sleep and I’ve seen this consistently and measurably in my sleep tracking. As a listener of this podcast, you can save 15% by going to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and using the code “wellnessmama”.
This episode is brought to you by Beekeepers Naturals – superfood products from the hive that help support your family’s health. Right now, Propolis has been a lifesaver with all of the sniffles and coughs going around where we live. Propolis is a resinous mixture that bees make in the hive and contains over 300 compounds including polyphenols and compounds that are antibacterial and a compound called pinocembrin that acts as an antifungal. Some studies have shown that propolis can speed wound healing. It’s natural antibacterial and antifungal properties also make it great for fighting the sniffles. At first sign of any sniffles, sore throat or coughing, I spray propolis in the throat and it almost always helps us bounce back quickly. I also use propolis before flying to avoid picking up anything on the plane. You can save 15% on propolis and all beekeepers naturals products at beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama with the code “wellnessmama”.