This episode is so much fun! Today I’m talking to someone who has gained and lost 70 pounds and who is about to do it again. Drew Manning is the New York Times bestselling author of the book Fit2Fat2Fit. He writes about his experiment that went viral online where he gained and then lost a lot of weight so that he could understand what his personal training clients go through.
Because of this, he’s now been featured on everything from Good Morning America to Dr. Oz and even has a “Fit to Fat to Fit” TV show airing on A&E and Lifetime.
In this episode, we discuss how he started this journey, what he learned along the way, and what he found the health and fitness space is lacking.
Episode Highlights With Drew Manning
- Why he gained 75 pounds in six months (and how)
- Then how he lost it again over the next six months
- How this impacted his training
- The biggest stumbling blocks he found in trying to lose the weight
- How to shift the perception of losing weight so it isn’t a fight anymore
- The major thing lacking in the fitness industry and how Drew is fixing this
- What crazy experiment he is going to attempt now and why!
- A reason he just ran 100 miles (yes, really) for a really important reason
- How he talks to his daughters about their bodies and what he never says
- His 80/20 for a better life: morning routine, positive affirmations, and a gratitude list
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Drew Manning Instagram
- Fat 2 Fit: Unexpected Lessons From Gaining and Losing 75 Pounds on Purpose by Drew Manning
- Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by David Goggins
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- Ego Is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- Loving What Is by Byron Katie
More From Wellness Mama
- 95: The Science of Sustainable Weight Loss with Bright Line
- 84: How to Use Ancient Spices to Make Weight Loss Easier
- 317: Tackling Insomnia, Anxiety, Weight, and Hormones Naturally With Esther Blum
- How to Fix Leptin Resistance to Control Weight, Cravings & More
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Alitura skincare. This a company founded by my friend (and previous podcast guest) Andy, who formulated these products to heal after a horrific accident left him with scars on his face. He mixed some of the most nutrient dense ingredients on the planet to create truly natural products that feed and benefit the skin, leaving it nourished and in my experience, hydrated and younger looking. I know from talking to Andy that he has literally gone all over the world to source some of these ingredients and is meticulous about testing them for quality and finding the combination that works the best. Even the name, Alitura, means feeding and nourishing in latin. My personal favorites are the mask and the gold serum, but all of their products are great. Here’s a tip with the mask… mix with apple cider vinegar instead of water for an extra boost and to deep clean pores. I use the mask a few times a week and I use the gold serum at night and after sun exposure to keep my skin nourished and hydrated. Check out these and all of their products at alituranaturals.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESSMAMA for 20% off and free shipping
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that creates products that go beyond just safe and natural and contain beneficial ingredients that nourish your body from the outside in. Many “clean” products simply don’t work. This is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but also have ingredients that work better than the conventional alternatives by your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to share these products with you and am especially proud of our whitening toothpaste which took years of formulating and dozens of rounds of tweaks to perfect. Our whitening toothpaste supports a healthy oral microbiome and strengthens tooth enamel naturally using ingredients such as hydroxyapatite, neem, and green tea to support tooth and gum health. Instead of fluoride, our formula contains green tea leaf extract, which is loaded with antioxidants. Plus, a phytochemical in green tea is shown to fight bacteria that leads to tooth decay. We combined this phytochemical with hydroxyapatite (a naturally-occurring mineral and main component of tooth enamel) to strengthen teeth and prevent cavities. Of course, fresh breath is paramount to good teeth brushing, and for that, we included peppermint leaf extract and neem. Neem prevents bacteria from sticking to teeth and turning into plaque. This protective measure means fewer bacteria, which leads to…fresher breath! Check out our whitening toothpaste and all of our products at Wellnesse.com. A tip – if you purchase a bundle or use auto-ship, you will receive a discount on both of those orders!